KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Joining circular knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60601)

BJD 06-19-2007 02:44 AM

Joining circular knitting

How can I make the joining point look better? I remember reading about doing something at the beginning when you join with your first stitch that makes it look better. Any suggestions or techniques would be appreciated.

HamburgKnitter 06-19-2007 03:12 AM

There's probably a better way, but what works for me (with my limited experience) is to use the tail of yarn to close up that little gap when I'm weaving in the ends. I know alot of people knit in the tail when they start a project, but I leave it to be weaved in for this reason when I'm knitting a circular project.

redwitch 06-19-2007 07:44 AM

That works, or you can knit the tail together for the first few stitches very tightly. Some people like to cast on an extra stitch and then k2to to close at first, but I find I still get a stretch this way. Here's what I have found gives the MOST perfect and invisible join:
Switch the first and last stitch in place. So the first caston stitch goes onto the needle beside the last stitch. Now use a crochet hook to pull that last stitch off its needle and onto the other needle, where the first stitch used to be before you moved it. They have now switched places. (Or you can move the last stitch to be next to the first, and then hook the first off onto the other needle, doesn't matter which) and knit the first few stitches tightly just to be sure.

JoeE 06-19-2007 10:07 AM

If you want to be *really* lazy, you can just ignore it. While I'm knitting the piece, I think that funny looking join is so obvious people can see it from space. But after I'm finished and I've worn the item a time or two, I don't notice it at all. I try to make it look as good as possible, but the tricks I've tried haven't given me results that I was any happier with in the long run.

But I'm weird...my knitting isn't something I obsess about too much. I knit because I enjoy knitting. I want it to look good, but if I get too fussy about little things, I won't enjoy it any more.

Joe

Jan in CA 06-19-2007 01:37 PM

I usually join normally and knit the first row. Then on the second row if I need to I knit the tail in with a tug for a few stitches. When I'm done I weave in the tail and clean up that edge if necessary.

solvieg2000 06-19-2007 02:42 PM

I don't know if this applies to knitting on circulars as well, but when knitting on dpn's, I have found it helpful to knit the first stitch onto the final needle of the circle. In other words, if you are knitting with five needles, before you start knitting the first round with the fifth needle, knit the very first stitch of the round with the fourth needle and leave it on the fourth needle as you continue knitting. This means there will be one more stitch on that fourth needle than on the other needle, and if counting stitches is important, just make sure to put a stitch marker there before knitting that very first stitch. This has given me surprisingly smooth and strong joins.
Sorry for the long post, good Lord!
solvi

Luvmyrottnboy 06-20-2007 09:14 AM

I cast on one extra stitch and then slip the first cast on to the right needle and pass the extra cast on stitch over it. It totally closes the join.

Sometimes, if I am using a seed or garter stitch border I will knit a few rows straight, join and sew up the teeny "seam". This works well if you have a hard time keeping the first row from twisting too.

BJD 06-20-2007 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 882285)
That works, or you can knit the tail together for the first few stitches very tightly. Some people like to cast on an extra stitch and then k2to to close at first, but I find I still get a stretch this way. Here's what I have found gives the MOST perfect and invisible join:
Switch the first and last stitch in place. So the first caston stitch goes onto the needle beside the last stitch. Now use a crochet hook to pull that last stitch off its needle and onto the other needle, where the first stitch used to be before you moved it. They have now switched places. (Or you can move the last stitch to be next to the first, and then hook the first off onto the other needle, doesn't matter which) and knit the first few stitches tightly just to be sure.

I tried your suggestion of switching first and last stitch and it is so easy and looks so good. Thanks a bunch.

UnspeakableJoy 06-21-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeE (Post 882438)
If you want to be *really* lazy, you can just ignore it. While I'm knitting the piece, I think that funny looking join is so obvious people can see it from space.

I'm so happy I'm not the only one that feels that way! :teehee: