KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Pattern help - Increase 3 at beginning (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61444)

Marni 07-02-2007 09:58 PM

Pattern help - Increase 3 at beginning

LOL, I got the two first rows then am in a quandry as to what to do with the new stitches I make from increasing. The pattern doesn't say to knit the new stitches after increasing, but then again it doesn't say to slip them to the right needle either. The pattern also doesn't say what type of increase to use so I figured a knitted cast on is fine. Yes?

Cast on 45
Knit 2 rows
Cont in st garter stitch, inc 3 sts at start of next 2 rows -- (51 sts)

Here's the patter link Garter Stitch Dog Jacket pattern

Ingrid 07-02-2007 11:02 PM

I'd do the knitted cast on at the beginning and the end of the one row.

I never thought of slipping the stitches after casting on :wall: ! I've always knit them after casting on. If you slip them and cast on at the end of the row, too, then you're even.:figureditout:

Marni 07-02-2007 11:18 PM

So Ingrid. You're saying to do the knitted cast on. Slip them to the right and in the same row cast on 3 at the end so that one row takes care of all the increases and it's done evenly. Then I'd just knit the next row since I already did all the increasing the pattern calls for?
Brilliant! :muah:

Ingrid 07-03-2007 12:15 AM

By Jove, I think we've unvented something!

But wait--wouldn't the yarn be in the wrong place to slip them?

suzeeq 07-03-2007 12:22 AM

Where's slipping the stitches? :?? You do them in garter along with the rest of the row.

Ingrid 07-03-2007 12:45 AM

Since the pattern says to cast on 3 at the beginning of the next two rows, Marni mentioned knit-casting them on then slipping them to the right needle.

Sounded like a great idea until I remembered the yarn would be at the wrong place.:shifty:

I've always casted on and knitted them right away, but the slipping seemed like a good idea late at night. We tried!:rofling:

Marni 07-03-2007 06:18 AM

Mmmm Ok I seeeeeee. Funny the tricks the midnight hours can play on you. So since slipping them would put the yarn in the wrong place the only other option would be to knit the increases.

It's hard to tell where the yarn is in this because of the thickness and color change and tightness of the increases. It actully looks like the yarn is below the middle inc stitch.

So with that same idea that Ingrid had to begin with is it possible to cast on the other 3 sts at the end of this first row and knit them to make it even? Or are we beating a dead horse. :think:

gargoylelib 07-03-2007 07:34 AM

Can I ask maybe a stupid question....?
Why do you need to cast on the 3 increase stitches? I mean it just
says inc so couldn't you just make 3 stitches in the first st on that
row? I am asking because all the patterns I have used if it wants you
to cast on more stitches specifically says so and if there are patterns
where you are just supposed to know to do that...then I need to know!

Libbie :??

Ingrid 07-03-2007 08:40 AM

Does it really have to be even? I don't think so.:think: We cast off at the beginning of different rows so why not cast on differently?

Gargoylelib--Some patterns want you to cast on so you get a little cast on edge rather than increase, though I'm sure that would really work, too.

gargoylelib 07-04-2007 09:27 AM

Thanks Ingrid for answering my question. I have another...:)

How did you know the inc it was asking for was to cast on the
stitches rather than just inc by doing a kf&b&f? I understand that
both give the required increase of stitches to continue the pattern
but since it just says inc 3 how would one know to use the CO inc?
Increase 3 and increase by CO 3 are a bit different things....?
I am only curious because I have been knitting for only just over a
year and this is the first time I have come across this situation.

Thanks for your patience,
Libbie