KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crochet! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   FO: Baby blankets (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61706)

JudyD 07-07-2007 08:00 AM

FO: Baby blankets

1 Attachment(s)
Here are two of the baby blankets I've made for our church project. I made the white one last week and the yellow one this week. Pattern is Ripple, yarn is Bernart, and measurements are 36" x 42".

I can crochet a baby blanket in one week but I've yet to knit one in the same time period. :shrug:

If you enlarge the photo the detail shows up a tad better.

JudyD

San 07-07-2007 11:29 AM

Looking nice, can u post the procedure for it, i have not yet done one that too crocheting, pls give me a detailed procedure.
Thanks
san

LeslieRR 07-07-2007 12:11 PM

Those are lovely!

aineepooh1 07-07-2007 02:20 PM

Judy D...:inlove::inlove:em.. I also wanna know how do you do the ripple? it looks complicated but I bet it's not:think:~

Jenelle 07-07-2007 04:39 PM

Ohh those are gorgeous! :inlove:

Do you have a pattern?

JudyD 07-07-2007 06:00 PM

To all who asked...

I lost my original Ripple baby blanket pattern and tried several patterns before I found this one, which is closest to my original pattern. The pattern is called Bev's Baby Ripple Afghan and I downloaded it from Bev's Country Cottage.

Crochet hook size G or H (I usually use a 5.00 which is closest to the H)

Soft worsted weight yarn, about 21 ounces. I get a 42" blanket with three 7- or 8-oz skeins of yarn. (Width ends up 32" to 34" depending on yarn tension and/or size of hook.)

Pattern:

< Chain 152.

Row 1: 2 sc in 2nd chain from the hook. *Sc in next 6 ch, skip 2, sc in each of the next 6 ch, 3 sc in next chain. Repeat from * eight more times. Sc in the next 6 ch, skip 2, sc in next 6 ch, 2 sc in the last ch. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: From now on sc in the back loop of each stitch. Sc in the first sc, *sc in each of the next 6 ch, skip 2 ch, sc in each of the next 6 sc, 3 sc in next sc (which should be the middle of the 3 sc of row 1. Repeat from * eight more times. Then sc in next 6 sc, skip 2, sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in last sc, turn. Repeat row 2 for the entire afghan. (I make the last 2 sc through both loops of the chain as opposed to just the back loop as it looks better and adds more stability.)

Length should be between 42" to 48" for a crib size blanket.

You can change colors every 4 rows or so. This is a very flexible pattern. I have seen ripples with color changes mid-row...just depends on the look you want. >

I have made many, many blankets with this pattern but they've all been in solid pastels.

This is not a difficult pattern, but I know some people just haven't been able to get the gist of it (my older sister for one!). You just have to make sure you start out with the correct number of loops in your chain. Then the pattern is 6, skip 2, 6, ch3, 6, etc. If you keep to that you'll be all set. The only problem I can foresee is when you get to the end of the second row and every row after that...it looks as if the 6th chain is not there, but it is...put your hook under both loops of the last stitch, ch2 in that last stitch, ch1, and turn. There is really nowhere to add extra stitches in this pattern to get you off kilter...I know, easy for me to say as I've made so many of them. You'll know what I mean after you've done a few rows.

The last two single crochets in the row will look like an elongated stitch but do make a nice finished edge. If anyone wants to see what I mean I can take a closeup of the blanket edge. I can also show you what I mean about the 6th chain...yes, I've started another one!

Good luck to all who want to try this pattern. I hope you will come to love it as much as I do!

JudyD

Riss 07-07-2007 11:14 PM

I've done a few ripples using this pattern... its incredibly easy...

http://home.att.net/~susanBinKC/patterns/ripple.html

--Riss

aineepooh1 07-08-2007 02:08 AM

thanks JudyD for posting that pattern for us and answering our questions.. and
YEAH~ please post the close up of the edges b/c this may be my next baby blanket project... I have been doing hdc all across and 5hdc in each corner to keep it square. and since this is SUPPOSED to be an easy pattern it just might be worth investigating. :think:
could we bother you for future questions if we have them about the ripple?? it's just so hard to believe it's simply b/c it looks so Difficult~!
thanks
ainee

JudyD 07-09-2007 10:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the closeups:

First photo shows 5 completed sc with the hook showing where to go for the last 2 sc and ch1. (Ignore that stray end of yarn that wasn't supposed to show! :shrug:)

The second photo shows the completed 2sc under both loops of the last stitch and the ch1.

The photos also show edge with the elongated stitch.

I'd be happy to answer any questions and/or or help in any way I can.

JudyD

aineepooh1 07-09-2007 11:43 AM

thanks judyd~!:hug::hug::hug: