KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Varigated Cables (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61754)

GinnyG 07-08-2007 10:38 AM

Varigated Cables

1 Attachment(s)
I asked the question a few days ago about using cables and varigated yarn. I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Although, as many said, the cables are not as distinct as they would be with solid yarn I think I like the overall effect. I had a hard time getting a good picture, if I tried to take the whole scarf it REALLY was hard to see so I zoomed in on a section. Face to face the cables do show.

You can see them better if you click on the picture and enlarge it a bit. The yarn is Esperanza by Schaefer.

I have a question though.........

Do you "block" cables? The scarf (Irish Hiking scarf) is a bit drawn together and if I could block it a bit flatter I think the cables would pop out even more.

Jan in CA 07-08-2007 10:47 AM

I don't think they show as well as they would in a solid, but it looks beautiful!

Blocking depends a lot on the type of yarn. If it's an acrylic it won't block anyway. As far as I know you can block cables though.

GinnyG 07-08-2007 11:22 AM

Thanks Jan, it is wool so I am going to give it a try.

redwitch 07-09-2007 12:49 AM

Some people say NEVER block ribbing or cables, but IMO you can. You want your knitting to look finished all the time, not only when it doesn't include cables/ribbing. I might try it on the last few inches just in case I weren't happy with it and needed to undo a bit and redo... or I might do a spray block instead of a total wet block... or I might just wet block, depending on my mood. Do take a few minutes to mold the cables, which is kind of prodding/plucking them in to the shape you want.
The only caveat I'd have actually, is don't stretch them out too much while wet, they might get misshapen that way.

Lady Violet 07-09-2007 01:09 AM

i think it's absolutely gorgeous! :inlove:
the combination of the variegation and cables is what will make people do a double take and then really look at the scarf to make sure they're seeing it right. great job!!! :thumbsup:

GinnyG 07-09-2007 07:38 AM

Well, I did a wet block (wish I had seen the suggestion to do the spray block first) yesterday and the scarf is currently drying. I THINK I achieved my desired result, I did pick and mold the cables when I lay it to dry. I'll know better when it's dry. I'll let you know what the end result is.

I am also working on an Irish Hiking Hat to go with the scarf and I gotta say the varigated cables are starting to grow on me. I think Lady Violet is right, it adds intrigue!

ready2knit 07-09-2007 08:06 AM

Ginny,

I think the scarf is lovely. I blocke a cabled sweater I recently made and it turned out just fine.

I hope you like the result.

Jana