KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Which interchangeable needles? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61858)

Slim 07-10-2007 10:15 AM

Which interchangeable needles?

I'd appreciate some feedback to help me make a decision. I recently decided to get a set of interchangeable circs. After looking at the various options, I decided on Denise, primarily because of the shorter cable lengths they offer. I received my Denises 2 days ago and cast on immediately, and I'm sorry to say that I don't much care for them. I'm having trouble with the yarn sliding over the connectors (or not), and the needles themselves seem to have more drag than I expected. I should probably mention here that most of my experience with circulars has been on Addis. I know there are a lot of knitters who love their Denise needles, so tell me: will I get used to them? Is it an acquired skill? Or should I return them and go for the KnitPicks Options?

Ingrid 07-10-2007 10:18 AM

If you're used to Addis, then definitely go for the Options, hands down.

I haven't used the Denises--I love slick, metal needles, but I love my Addis and Options.

Braden 07-10-2007 10:21 AM

I haven't used the Denise, but I have used the Boye, and I can tell you don't go for them. Definately go for the Options. I like slippery metal needles, too, so the Options and Addis are great for me. And, you'll probably never be happy with them, since your so used to Addis, so why bother?

ready2knit 07-10-2007 10:29 AM

I'm an Addis and Options girl. I return the Denise since your not happy with them from the start.

Jana

Jan in CA 07-10-2007 11:45 AM

There is a sticky thread/poll at the top of the page that has all kinds of comments about various interchangeables. Check that out for tons of info.

knitasha 07-10-2007 03:21 PM

I use Addis more than any other needles, but I like my Denise set very much, especially for slippery yarn, and for the fact that they're lighter (therefore easier on the hands) than either Options or Addis. They're also great for throwing in your bag when you're going to be trying out yarns, or when you're traveling.

I bought several pairs of Options. Loved the sharp points and skinny, flexy cables. But they were nothing but trouble, what with poor finishing on two of the end pieces and one cable that wouldn't connect with anything. KnitPicks replaced them without questions, but I still find that they start coming unscrewed after several inches of knitting, especially with laceweight. When the fine yarn starts catching on the joins, I know that some of the threading is exposed and it's time to tighten up the needles again. (Yes, I use the mini-wrench.) Also, the ends I use most are beginning to tarnish. I am giving up on the multiple-size Options, but I do think I will try the single-size version, especially in small sizes.

My Denise set has been trouble-free for many years, and I do enjoy it for certain things. But look -- it's a personal thing. If you just don't like how they feel, swap them for something else, or sell them on eBay.

misstialouise 07-10-2007 08:01 PM

<chant>
OPTIONS
OPTIONS
RAH
RAH
RAH
OPTIONS
OPTIONS
RAH
RAH
RAH
</chant>

;)

Knitting_Guy 07-10-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misstialouise (Post 901590)
<chant>
OPTIONS
OPTIONS
RAH
RAH
RAH
OPTIONS
OPTIONS
RAH
RAH
RAH
</chant>

;)

ditto :lol:

auburnchick 07-10-2007 08:46 PM

Sell your Denise's on Ebay and get the Options! :thumbsup:

redheadrachel 07-10-2007 09:11 PM

I have the Options and absolutely love them. The knitting teacher at my LYS actually was telling me about how she would never want interchangeable needles because of the bad joins. I brought in my set during a Free Knitting and now that she's seen the super smooth joins (and the most flexible cable EVER) she is going to order herself a set! And I, personally, use them all the time and have yet to have a needle unscrew if I've tightened it properly. They're absolutely as amazing as everyone says. At least.