KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Pick-up and knit? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61945)

CarmenIbanez 07-11-2007 08:40 PM

Pick-up and knit?

Okay, so I've been knitting for a long time and consider myself pretty accomplished, so I am surprised to be stuck on something so seemingly simple. The directions on my pattern, and on Amy's video say: Pick up and knit x number of stitches. But really, you aren't knitting them as you pick them up right? I've always just picked up the stitches. Is there a difference between "pick up 25 stitches" and "pick up and knit 25 stitches"???

Ingrid 07-11-2007 08:43 PM

99% of the time, pick up/pick up and knit are meant to pull the loops through to make live stitches.

On rare occasion, you just pick up existing stitches without pulling the yarn through, and the pattern is usually pretty specific about it.

redheadrachel 07-11-2007 09:10 PM

That was the hugest problem I ran into when I was recently learning to knit socks. It seems that pick up and knit is really just picking up the stithces, from what I understand. I think they mean the same thing, though I don't know why they'd choose to say it the more confusing way... :/

mwedzi 07-11-2007 09:14 PM

I think it's like Ingrid says. Not the same thing, but usually pick up means pick up and knit. You can just put the needle back through those stitches without pulling the yarn through. I don't know a good reason to do this. Maybe when you are going to knit a pocket directly onto a sweater? I may be trippin but I thought I saw a picture like that in my Big Book of Knitting. Otherwise, people usually tend to keep the stitches live if they want you to put them back on the needle later.

suzeeq 07-11-2007 11:09 PM

I interpret pick up and knit to mean mean pick up knitwise. There's also instructions on some patterns to pick up and purl, which would be to pick them up purlwise...

redheadrachel 07-12-2007 12:01 AM

Yeah, that's how I interpret it, though I may not have explained it that well.
I do wish, though, that they'd just write pick up knitwise instead of pick up and knit - I tried for almost an hour to figure out what they meant and finally decided that even if I was supposed to pick up and then knit an extra row (somehow...?) it wouldn't make too much of a difference if I just picked up knitwise anyways. I found out I'd done it correctly, but it caused waaay more stress than necessary/

suzeeq 07-12-2007 01:08 AM

I think it was one of those that puzzled me when I first ran into too. It would make more sense to write kw and pw, wouldn't it....

CarmenIbanez 07-12-2007 01:53 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thanks guys!

redwitch 07-12-2007 03:13 AM

I do it by putting my LN through where I want to pick up stitches and knitting that loop with my right needle like it's a normal stitch, much easier. maybe that used to be the way it was done and they called it knitting for that reason?

mwedzi 07-12-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 902869)
I do it by putting my LN through where I want to pick up stitches and knitting that loop with my right needle like it's a normal stitch, much easier. maybe that used to be the way it was done and they called it knitting for that reason?

I was writing instructions for doing this in a pattern I'm trying to write down. I think I wrote something like "PU 1 st along edge. Now knit this stitch", or something like that. I'm not sure what the standard way of writing such instructions.