KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Wool Wash (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62096)

feministmama 07-13-2007 10:53 PM

Wool Wash

So waht's a good wash that leaves yer wool smelling mmmmmmgood? Whenever I wash my wool it ususally smells like a smelly old sheep. I want to start wahsing my wool in something that will make me say mmmmm. Is there a good one for putting in the wwashing machine for felting too?

zip 07-13-2007 10:56 PM

Dr. Bronner's!

rebecca 07-13-2007 11:24 PM

Great topic, Femi! I've been wondering the same thing!
I've never heard of Dr. Bronner's, it looks very interesting! I need to settle on an all around gentle washable, too, so I'm very interested to see the consensus!

brendajos 07-13-2007 11:35 PM

It is really weird how much I LOVE the smell of the wet wool isn't it? lol I get a little giddy about the fact that it smells like work has been accomplished in my house. ;) i am liking the look of those soaps for other things around the house though. Zip have you used any of them? Like does the baby stuff smell like yummy baby soaps? :)

zip 07-14-2007 12:31 AM

The only one I haven't tried is the baby soap. Must remedy that. I am lucky enough to have access to a case or two at Christmas. It's for real.

The labels are legend! DILUTE! DILUTE! OK! :rofl:

I know what you mean, brendajos, about the smell of work. That's how I feel about using Murphy Oil Soap. It makes opening the pantry a pleasure.

Phaedra 07-14-2007 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecca (Post 905095)
Great topic, Femi! I've been wondering the same thing!
I've never heard of Dr. Bronner's, it looks very interesting! I need to settle on an all around gentle washable, too, so I'm very interested to see the consensus!

I never thought to use Dr. Bronner's; I really like it as bath/bubble soap!
Almond and Lavender are wonderful and the Peppermint is really a "clean" scent - not sugary - does that make sense? :??

XbelovedXoneX 07-14-2007 10:11 AM

I haven't used Dr. Bronner's in years! I never thought to use it for wool wash also. I really need to pick up more. The peppermint is such a good wake-me-up body wash. The bottle is also good reading in the shower! haha

lauraknits 07-14-2007 11:41 AM

I've used Soak, and it smells quite nice...

zip 07-14-2007 12:06 PM

I've never used Dr. Bronner's as a body wash, but if y'all can do it, I can do it.

I washed some wool that I was Kool-Aid dyeing in the eucalyptus hemp soap, and it still smelled wonderfully clean weeks later after I'd handled it during knitting - it never picked up the Kool-Aid fruity scent as I expected that it would. The lavender soap smells really nice for laundry as well.

losnana 07-14-2007 01:09 PM

I've never heard of Dr. Bronner before. Am I correct that any of his liquid soaps will do for washing wool and that the difference is just in the scent?