KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Great American Aran Afghan (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62356)

suziehomemaker 07-18-2007 11:05 AM

The Great American Aran Afghan

Do you like Aran knitting & beautiful cables?
Are you up for a challenge?

Let me be an enabler and introduce you to The Great American Aran Afghan (aka GAAA)! The 24 square patterns were originally introduced back in 2000 and 2001 as a contest in Knitter's Magazine. I'm ready to finally get working continuously on this project (thank you stash busters). I had a few people ask me about it so I thought I'd share my info with everyone!

We have a knit-along here currently with 36 members from all over the world (some have already finished). At the knit-along site there's helpful links for places to buy the pattern, photos of the afghan on the web and links to member blogs for inspiration. If you want to see a completed afghan the first place winner has hers here

The pattern calls for Plymouth Encore yarn but members have used all sorts of different kinds of yarn in various colors. This will be the most beautiful family heirloom you'll ever make.

Ok - that's my sales pitch. If you would like to join please follow the instructions on the knit-along site or just send me a PM. You don't need a blog to join but it is nice if you have a link to share with pictures (or you can just post your pictures right on the KAL site).

I blame/thank Silver for inspiring me to start this project. She completed hers eons ago and it's just lovely!

dakatzmeow 07-18-2007 11:25 AM

*thud* that is simply stunning!

brookehanna 07-18-2007 12:26 PM

I would love to join you, but I'm in the middle of Lizard Ridge right now. I will bookmark the site to join soon though! Those squares are simply amazing!

suziehomemaker 07-18-2007 02:06 PM

I completely agree! The cables are just amazing and I've learned so much!

1to1 07-18-2007 02:09 PM

I made one combining squares from both the Great American Aran Afghan and the Great American Afghan. :happydance: I used colors to match my living room and it turned out great. I haven't completed the edging cause I thought I'd use 3 colors :rollseyes: and socks have taken over my knitting. I still use it during the winter though.

Let me just say that you will be a master knitter when you are finished. It was lots of fun and very challenging to make it.

I encourage everyone who wants to learn new stitches to try this.

GinnyG 07-18-2007 02:34 PM

:passedout:

BEAUTIFUL but OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feministmama 07-18-2007 04:33 PM

Silver made this. Go to her website and see!

suziehomemaker 07-18-2007 04:42 PM

It looks like it's impossible but if you break it down by square and just look at one row at a time it's very doable!

Plus, non-knitters just gush about how amazing it looks and how difficult it would be to make. This is one project that DH said is staying with us - in fact he's the one who told me to buy the pattern and all the yarn for it.

stirsmommy 07-18-2007 04:44 PM

I would love to make this. If I think of each square as a project it is doable as usually there is more than a few on the needles at a time. Now to save up for the pattern and yarn.

stirsmommy 07-18-2007 05:04 PM

Is it ok to ask how much yarn this will take? I am trying to figure a budget for it
Thanks