KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creating Yarn: Spinning, Dyeing, etc. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Dyers! I need your help! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63059)

threesmom 07-30-2007 08:31 PM

Dyers! I need your help!

I'm all set to get into dying - but I have no idea what I'm doing. I know about the mordant, and I have some dyes from KP, but I'm pretty clueless other than that. HELP!! I know you all can help - I've been looking at the beautiful yarns you've been posting!:heart:

What I'd really like to be able to do is some nice ocean-like muted bluesy greens in a range of colors and a few different skeins (I have kp bare). Should I use kool-aid? Or real dye (I think I have teal, green and blue, maybe purple). I don'[t expect perfection - but does anyone have any tips???

Thanks!!

dustinac 08-01-2007 08:44 AM

What I do is first soak my yarn in luke warm with some vinegar (I don't measure :shrug:) let it set in that for about 30 mins... carefully use a towel to get most of the moisture out... On my table (while the yarn was soaking) I lay down cling wrap and tape it down and in the center... I place my yarn on this and then I tie scraps of yarn where I want the color changes to take place (this is just a guessing game where you think it should be)...I mix my dye into plastic cups and then take those sponge like paint brushes and just start painting it on... I get the yarn soaked through with the dye and make sure you get under it... once I'm happy with it I fold the cling up and over it and fold it in half..then I roll it up.. then I put it in luke warm water on the stove.. bring that up to almost a boil... then rinse till the color runs clear

I use basically KP's dyes... I would use your teal, green, and blue to get the colors you want... :thumbsup:

threesmom 08-01-2007 11:07 AM

Thank you dustinac!! Very helpful - I'm really itching to get started now. I just have one question - when you put in the lukewarm water, do you leave the clingwrap on - or is this just a transport thing? It makes sense both ways. And do you raise the temp slowly? Like on medium on the stove? (oh - I guess that's 2 questions :aww:)

I'm sorry if I'm being a pain - I'll just be doing this with kids around, and I want to be quite sure what I'm doing when I'm doing it!

Thanks!:muah:

dustinac 08-01-2007 11:16 AM

:teehee: your not being a pain!!

I leave it in the cling wrap... becareful when you take it from the stove to the sink to rinse... the heat/steam inside the cling wrap is HOT... I use tongs to help me pull it off..

I raise it slowly.. I have felted yarn before trying to dye lol so I always add heat slowly now...

Knitty Gritty did a show with Scout from Scout's Swag that had a lot info... there is a website too that helped me get started and gave me the tips of laying the cling wrap out but I can't find it right now... I'll keep looking for it :thumbsup:

eta: here it is

threesmom 08-01-2007 11:29 AM

Woo hoo!! thanks! that site looks great! a project for tomorrow!! or the next rainy day ...