KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Dishcloths (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63062)

Jackie M. 07-30-2007 10:23 PM

Dishcloths

Does anyone use thier dishcloths after they make them? The ones I have made are with 100% cotton and they are heavy, so I don't like to use them for dishes, but they make great pot holders and hot pads.

newamy 07-30-2007 10:27 PM

I use mine for washing dishes. They are sturdy and hold up well. Mine are also 100% cotton.

Lady Violet 07-30-2007 10:27 PM

i use mine. i think they work really well. i just made a somewhat bigger illusion dishcloth, but i don't think i can bring myself to actually use it. i think i'll just stare at the stripes and feel the knits and purls. it's just so cool! :teehee:

Jan in CA 07-30-2007 11:05 PM

I wouldn't use mine for hot pads because the heat goes right through them, but maybe I"m a loose knitter. I use them for dishcloths and love them!

PalmettoGirl 07-30-2007 11:25 PM

I prefer to use my knitted or crocheted dishcloths over store bought ones.

cmk 07-31-2007 01:23 AM

What a coincidence that you should bring this topic up because I just started using knitted cotton dishcloths last week. I personally find them a little thick and small ~ I just used free patterns on the web and now know to make them larger. I love how the cotton dishcloths wipe down the table after meals.

Using them as potholders might work. Thank you for the idea.

Carolyn

callagain 07-31-2007 01:23 AM

My hand knit cloths are all I use..I love them! Some patterns seem to render a pretty big cloth which I do not find desirable, so I do pay attention to that when choosing a pattern. I understand what you are saying about the weight and am seeking out a lighter weight but durable cotton yarn for my next batch.

Silver 07-31-2007 12:13 PM

I'm always knitting dishcloths. I use Lily's Sugar n Cream and size 7 needles. I knit a very basic garter pattern because I don't want to put too much work into them or else I might not want to use them. I make them so I CAN use them instead of paper towels. I use them to dry hands and clean off counters. I've crocheted a few too, just a size G hook and a half double crochet throughout. I use those as oven mitts and hot pads since they're denser and thicker.

chrislt8 07-31-2007 12:44 PM

When I first started knitting I thought "knit dishcloths?!? are these people crazy???" - but then I knit one up to try the knit/purl image thing and, since it was done, started using it. At first I thought, eh - not so great. Then I washed it a couple of times...and now, it is ALL I use in the kitchen and I have a list of requests by family members to make them some. As they are washed they become more absorbent and they just pick up the crumbs on the counter so well, and scrub so well, and...well, you get the picture.

So, simply put, yes I use them - and they are great for trying new techniques and patterns 'cause if you make a mistake, well they ARE just dischcloths! ;)

marykz 07-31-2007 01:03 PM

I love mine- I use them mainly for wiping down the counters and table, and cleaning up liquid spills. I made one to hang on a cabinet knob for the DD to dry her hands with. I also have many I use as washcloths in the bath/shower.