KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Any tips for a booga bag? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63449)

Cherlyn 08-06-2007 03:35 PM

Any tips for a booga bag?

I'm somewhat of a beginner knitter, I've done scarfs, hats, a felted purse, dishclothes, etc. but this is my first 'challenge' project. Does anyone have any tips/tricks or problems that I may run into? I really appreciate it!

Ingrid 08-06-2007 06:34 PM

This seems to be a very popular first bag for a lot of people.

The bottom is knit back and forth into a rectangle, then you pick up the stitches down the left side, across the bottom and up the right side and start knitting in the round.

The pattern says to pick up the stitches twisted, but I don't think anyone has really figured that one out--or at least haven't bothered to do it that way.

Arielluria 08-06-2007 06:42 PM

I'm interested in making one, I don't have the pattern yet, I just know it's nice and felted.

Perhaps the twisted is as we discussed here once when I asked about doing the Knit stitch. I seemed to remember being taught to K through the back look of the needle on the left, rather than the front. Someone was nice enough (and I did the same experiment) to knit a swatch through the back loop, and you can see when you do that that your stitches are twisted.

Could that be it????? I can see where that might make the felting a little sturdier.......

Can someone post the pattern for the Booga Bag?

mare-nitt 08-06-2007 06:43 PM

I have made a few, and enjoy them, mostily because when you add fun yarns to the knit as accents, you never know how they will spice up the look.

And they are great for hiding mistakes!:cheering:

auburnchick 08-06-2007 06:45 PM

Here's the link for the Black Sheep Booga Bag pattern.

Arielluria 08-06-2007 07:33 PM

Thanks, that's it! Only I'd like to make it bigger to carry plenty of knitting inside! ;)

JamOKnit 08-07-2007 04:41 PM

I did not twist stitches when I picked up along the bottom, and it turned out great, so I don't think that's really critical. The felting part can take a while, depending on the yarn you use (I used Noro Kureyon and felted it 3 times throught the wash cycle!). But definitely make it bigger. I was slightly sad at how small it turned out. More like a purse, less like a tote.

Arielluria 08-07-2007 04:44 PM

Is 2x bigger TOO big to make it?

threesmom 08-07-2007 04:53 PM

Mine was a decent size just regular - I can get a good sized project in it, and extra yarn. I don't think I felted as vigously as I could have though - I was doing it by hand, and just got tired - and impatient:teehee:. I think 2x would give a nice big tote, if that's what you are aiming for.

Good luck!

Arielluria 08-07-2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamOKnit (Post 927940)
I did not twist stitches when I picked up along the bottom, and it turned out great, so I don't think that's really critical. The felting part can take a while, depending on the yarn you use (I used Noro Kureyon and felted it 3 times throught the wash cycle!). But definitely make it bigger. I was slightly sad at how small it turned out. More like a purse, less like a tote.

So will subsequent washings shrink it further?