KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Heavily edited: Which book should I get? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63518)

redheadrachel 08-07-2007 05:33 PM

Heavily edited: Which book should I get?

I edited this a lot because I basically changed what I wanted to ask:

I'm taking advantage of the KnitPicks book sale (I was surprised to see it's still going on). I don't have any knitting books currently, so I'm going to get Vogue Knitting and Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Workshop. I want to get another book, but I don't know what would be the bst choice. I was thinking One Skein or One Skein Wonders, but I'm actually now just thinking that I want to see what books do you guys find the most helpful? I think Vogue Knitting is a great knitting reference, and the Knitting Workshop is going to teach me how to customize/improvise - what else do I need? Thanks, everyone. I know I may post a lot of questions here and try to get lots of feedback, but I do try to give feedback and help as well. Sorry if I ask too much of you... :shrug:

KT120 08-07-2007 05:42 PM

I'm only going to say that I love my One Skein book. It was the first pattern book I bought and I love it to death. I've knitted a couple of the patterns and they are very easy and quick. I don't have the other book yet but as soon as I get to a bookstore I'm going to check it out and see if its worth a purchase.

marykz 08-07-2007 06:37 PM

This was to your pre- edited question: I have both- for breadth of projects I like one skein. (I think the projects in one skein are all pretty different from each other) for lots of hat/ scarf/ shawl and little projects, one skein wonders is great. some of the wonders patterns are a bit... repetitive- but I've made projects from both and treasure both.....

(oh- and EZ's books are delightful to read....)
to your edited question
To me, Debbie Bliss' books (How To Knit, etc) are SOOO helpful, with classic patterns.

Jan in CA 08-07-2007 06:41 PM

:think: Well, I have Knitting for Peace which is nice of you like to knit for charity, but there are SO many books on sale! :passedout: One thing nice about KP is you can take a peek inside. Check out a bunch of them see what looks interesting to you.

redheadrachel 08-07-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 928027)
One thing nice about KP is you can take a peek inside. Check out a bunch of them see what looks interesting to you.

Hey I didn't even realize that - thanks!

Quiltlady 08-07-2007 06:47 PM

I have it too

I also have the "One Skein Wonders" book and I really like it. IT has MANY stylish projects in there to keep you happily knitting for a long time.:woot:

rebecca 08-07-2007 06:52 PM

Well, I can tell you the ones that I just got from KP and love both of them, No Sheep for You..very informative and has great patterns. And Book 3, the color experience by Sally Melville...it's great, too.
Some that I've gotten recently that are also wonderful, Vogue Knitting's 25th Anniversary book; Mason Dixon; Lace Style; Wrap Style; Victorian Lace Today and am seriously thinking about getting Knitting Lingerie Style and Cables Untangled.
LOL, I guess I wasn't much help, huh?? I'm a book junkie!

redheadrachel 08-07-2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebecca (Post 928040)
And Book 3, the color experience by Sally Melville...it's great, too.!

You know, I was wondering about that one. I'm really really interested in incorporating fair isle work into my basic socks ans sweaters, and so I was wondering whether that book or the Vogue Knitting color one would provide me with some good fair isle patterns to spice up the basics. Maybe EZ's Knitting Workshop has that, though? I'm not sure...

And what about Knitting without Tears or the Stitch 'n B- book?

redheadrachel 08-07-2007 10:59 PM

So...

if I'm getting EZ's Knitting Workshop, would a book like The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns (basic patterns for a variety of garments) be unnecessary? I'm not sure what all the Knitting Workshop has in it, if it's just sweaters, or has all kinds of garments...

:?? Sorry!!! :wall:

zkimom 08-08-2007 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redheadrachel (Post 928233)
So...

if I'm getting EZ's Knitting Workshop, would a book like The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns (basic patterns for a variety of garments) be unnecessary? I'm not sure what all the Knitting Workshop has in it, if it's just sweaters, or has all kinds of garments...

:?? Sorry!!! :wall:

I don't have the EZ books yet (mine are on their way from KnitPicks sale also. Yippee!) but I have both the Knitter's Handy Book of Sweaters and the Handy Book of Patterns. What I like about those books is that you have the ability to really customize a garment using the formulas given in the books. I made my dd the cutest little cotton sweater using the formula for a drop sleeve sweater to which I added a little lace Peter Pan collar from another sweater and then a lace hem on the sleeves and bottom from another. I was able to do the whole thing by just figuring out my gauge and plugging in the numbers in the available charts.

I was also able to adjust a simple sweater pattern that I wasn't getting the right gauge for by using the charts in the book. I have used the sweater book so far more often than the pattern book but they are both great.

I also wanted to say that I like both the One Skein Wonders and the One Skein book and have used both often. I'd say choose either one and you have a winner.

Best,
Susan (who believes that one can never have enough yarn, knitting books or knitting magazines and has the stash to prove it!)