KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Shrug or Shawl? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64042)

Chrissie 08-16-2007 10:01 AM

Shrug or Shawl?

I'm in my friends wedding at the end of October, and she has chosen a sleeveless black satin dress for us to wear, with a red sash thing. I'm not really one to show my upper arms, so I'd like to knit up a little something to wear over the dress after the actual ceremony. I've been looking at shrug patterns, and www.chicknits.com has a new pattern....Miss Dashwood....that I think is cute.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTido.html Then there is "I do" from knitty.

I'm not really sure I would look all that good in a shrug....I'm kind of apple shaped with big boobs. I've never worn one before. A shrug might just make my shoulders look bigger. So maybe I should go with a shawl instead? Maybe another Tuscany (I'm knitting one now) in red?

What do you think?

michellebreton 08-16-2007 10:14 AM

How "big" are talking about? I think "I Do" would be perfect for a bridesmaid at a wedding. The model in the picture doesn't seem all that small to me?

Michelle

chrislt8 08-16-2007 10:19 AM

Could you take a shawl you own and sort of wrap it around your arms so its looks like a shrug and see what you think of it? Or maybe go to a store and try on a shrug or two? That would let you determine if the overall style works on your body type... I have big shoulders and a bit of a "belly problem" so all a shrug does is emphasize my problems, but I wasn't sure of that until I tried some on. Just a thought...

Chrissie 08-16-2007 10:37 AM

I'm a 38 DDD....I've put on a cardigan of mine and held the bottom part to the back and it looked all right. If I do make something, I would do it it black so it kind of blends in with the dress. I like " I do " the best, I think.

cookworm 08-16-2007 06:30 PM

I too don't like to show my upper arms (because mine are pretty "meaty" :teehee:)--in fact, instead of being sad when I see adorable sleeveless fashions, I no longer shun away from them, but I will buy them, and wear them with a cute shawl (or it is a great excuse to knit something fabulous!).

I don't know if a shrug would emphasize or de-emphasize things:think:. I think a shrug might be a nice idea because it would "stay put" better; shawls are my personal fave, but I have to admit that they tend to need to be put back into place quite a bit, something that you might not want to have to fiddle with during the ceremony. I like the idea of Knitty's Convertible--you can use it as either a shawl or a shrug; you might want to consider something like that because you can wear it either way. Just a suggestion. :shrug:

knitncook 08-16-2007 07:37 PM

I love the Mrs. Dashwood. I think a shrug would be better for a wedding because you could still dance without it slipping off as much. It's ON if that makes sense. And it's still pretty and weddingy.

knit.newbie 08-16-2007 08:45 PM

I love the 'I do'!

and I'm sure you'd look awesome in any one of them :happydance:

candicane 08-17-2007 10:37 AM

I agree that a shawl would become a PITA, because you have to hold onto it.

Other ideas:

Wisp from Knitty or the Reading-in-Bed shrug on the Interweave site.

I would keep it in a "dressy" and lightweight kind of yarn like Rowan Kidsilk. Keep it slightly looser fitting, particularly in the shoulders and underarms and I think you will look nice in it.

candice

ddincolo 08-17-2007 05:45 PM

the 'I Do' from Knitty is beautiful!
Suggest that all the attendants have one!

Doublereeder2 08-17-2007 06:21 PM

Both are lovely. :heart: Do you want the bell sleeves or straight sleeves? How far does I Do come down in the back?

Which do you think you like best? Which would be most flattering to your body type? After all, you are the one wearing it.

But - both are beautiful and whichever you choose will be gorgeous.:-P