Forum Forum (
-   How-to Questions (
-   -   You all seem to be experts! (

Waggus 08-23-2007 11:40 PM

You all seem to be experts!
I have been trying to navigate this forum. It seems I am the only one who is an absolute beginner. I have been knitting for about 3 days! I am trying to learn continental knitting and am teaching my children at the same time. I can now knit and purl, cast on and cast off. But my purl is not that smooth yet.

I looked at the list of videos for increasing and decreasing and was overwhelmed! Which method to choose... What I want to do to learn, is to make a square starting with one stitch and increasing gradually, then decreasing gradually until I have only one stitch again. Can anyone help me to know how to do this and which method to use?


sugarfunpouch 08-23-2007 11:53 PM

Welcome! :balloons:
Decrease: Knit two together is the easiest.
Inc: Depends. (Invisible, eyelet, decorative bumps,etc.)

suzeeq 08-23-2007 11:54 PM

Welcome waggus. What you would do is CO (I suggest 2 sts) and increase 1 in each st. Then knit a row plain, then inc at both sides every other row. Do that until the edges are the size you want the square to be then you can practices decreases. Another way to do it is CO 3, knit a row, then inc only at the beginning of every row.

Just for practice it doesn't matter which one you do... do all of them, one at a time. You'll get practice at knitting and increasing and can decide which one you prefer, either because of how it looks or whether it's easier for you to do.

zip 08-24-2007 12:17 AM

You could practice by making Grandmother's Favorite Dishcloth. It's fun to make and useful, as well.

sugarfunpouch 08-24-2007 12:23 AM

That's my favourite dishcloth pattern!

zip 08-24-2007 12:31 AM


Originally Posted by sugarfunpouch (Post 943044)
That's my favourite dishcloth pattern!

I love it, too! It's addictive. but i'm no expert.

Kels Joy. 08-24-2007 01:02 AM

i was just looking at that pattern, and how do you do a yarn over? i've seen it done like 100 times, but i still dont get it. isnt it like you wrap the yarn around the needle, then keep knitting, and then when you do the next row and you come back to it, you knit it like a regular stitch? :shrug:

Marni 08-24-2007 08:50 AM

Here's a video showing SKP (slip-knit-pass) and YO (yarn over). Yes, with YO knit just like a regular stitch on the reverse side; the yo stich will look funny almost like you missed the stitch on the previous row.

sinistral_needler 08-24-2007 09:00 AM

I am, by no means, an expert on ANYTHING. Welcome to the forum, Waggus.

suzeeq 08-24-2007 09:08 AM

A YO is exactly like doing a knit stitch, but the needle isn't inserted into a stitch on the left side. It's an `air' stitch...

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50 AM.