KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charity Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   has anyone ever... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65384)

MrsDavis3 09-08-2007 07:07 PM

has anyone ever...

I'm feeling more than ever that my knitting is a very selfish "hobby". I do make gifts, but I also make things just because I want to. So I'd like to do some charity knitting, BUT...

I want to knit what I want to knit. So I was wondering...

Has anyone ever formed a group of knitters or other "leisure artists" in their city or town who are accomplished enough to make things people would want to buy but who have no need or desire to sell their work for personal profit, and these knitters as a group then sell their handmade items at some specific venue or at an annual event, say, and then give the money to charity?

I'm thinking of trying to do this in my town and I'd like to know if there is a group of this type from which I could get some pointers.

Jan in CA 09-08-2007 07:17 PM

I haven't personally heard of anything like that, but there probably is somewhere. Good luck!

BTW.. Most of the stuff I've made has been for charity. It makes you feel good to share something, enjoy doing it.. AND clean out your stash of stuff you wouldn't want to wear anyway! ;)

suziehomemaker 09-10-2007 12:43 PM

Maybe local craft fairs? I see tables with hand knit items at our local ones?

For online maybe Etsy.com would work?

MrsDavis3 09-10-2007 09:40 PM

suziehomemaker:

do you know you have set up that "suzie homemaker, suzie homemaker" TV jingle (from whenever?!)

all I know is that whatever it was, my parents DIDN'T buy it for me

suziehomemaker 09-11-2007 08:48 AM

I'm probably dating myself but I have no idea what that was. I got this nickname from my DF when he saw that I could knit: "Well aren't you just the little Suziehomemaker now?"

I feel your pain though, my parents never bought be a Barbie when I was young. I had She-Ra instead. My mom was a bit of a feminist . . .

lucky_alf2 09-11-2007 10:08 AM

I've not heard of that specifically. But I also quilt and my quilting group does lots of charity work -- one of the things they do is to make 3 very nice quilts a year (ie worth $1000+) and then find a local charity to donate the quilt to -- the charity then uses the item in their fundraising -- raffles, silent auctions, raffle baskets, etc. I know our local church and school and shelters are always looking for this kind of artsy-stuff to raise money. Maybe another avenue to explore....make you want then donate to a charity for a fundraiser....one issue with the quilts is that of non-quilters not realizing the value of the item as well as proper care (these are not Sears Beds-in-a-bag). So we include care instructions and have the quilt formally appraised. Just something to think about if you tried this out.

Let know how it goes!

PurlyGyrl 09-11-2007 10:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Little Suzy Homemaker was a line of homemaking toys--stoves, irons, vacuums, etc. in the mid 1960s to early 1970s aimed at little girls. See below

I had them all (stove, fridge, vac, iron & ironing board, blender, mixer, washer and dishwasher) which I find really ironic now--can't stand to iron or vacuum or do dishes. Cook and bake, ok, but cleaning :noway:

suziehomemaker 09-11-2007 10:23 AM

That makes sense now! My job is primarily a male field and I never was very good at cooking or cleaning or any of the supposed "women's work". My Dad was completely astonished when he saw me knitting 6 years ago. I was a bit of a tomboy growing up.

I think the closest I got to that stuff was baking my toys in my EZ Bake oven. Yeah, that toy didn't last very long in my house ;)

Now I'm all about knitting and baking and LOVING being a mother. My how times have changed . . .

MrsDavis3 09-13-2007 12:35 PM

wow purly

I did not have a single Suzy Homemaker item.
I was so deprived. (Insert self-pity icon)