KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How do you store your yarn? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65456)

SabrinaJL 09-09-2007 10:06 PM

How do you store your yarn?

I've been keeping my yarn in plastic rubbermaid containers but was thinking of moving it onto shelves. I was wondering if that's even a good idea. Should it not be out in the open? I mean, I know my acrylic yarn would be fine, but I wasn't sure if I should have wool out.

Quiltlady 09-09-2007 10:09 PM

I have storage

I keep some of mine in a nice armoire that is kept open. Then I have two hanging fabric shelving units hang in my craft room closet. I also have some woven baskets with other yarns in them. :woohoo:

mrslevite 09-09-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SabrinaJL (Post 956914)
I've been keeping my yarn in plastic rubbermaid containers but was thinking of moving it onto shelves. I was wondering if that's even a good idea. Should it not be out in the open? I mean, I know my acrylic yarn would be fine, but I wasn't sure if I should have wool out.

I don't have a lot of yarn at the moment, but I'm thinking that the clear rubbermaid type containers on shelves would be a good way to go.

SusanMarie1956 09-09-2007 10:25 PM

Sabrina,

I keep all of my yarn in Palstic ( Like Rubbermaid ) container's that I buy at JoAnn's Fabrics.

dagny 09-10-2007 12:12 AM

I plan on keeping mine in hanging closet organizers which you can find at places like IKEA. Or willow baskets on shelves. I con't have a lot of room for plastic bins, we have a small place.

JamOKnit 09-10-2007 08:31 AM

Mine is in a large multi-drawer plastic unit on wheels that I can pull in and out of my spare closet. The drawers are clear so I can see what's in what drawer!

dustinac 09-10-2007 08:40 AM

I have some in a 3 drawer cart chariot (that's the name on the front :teehee:)...the rest is on shelves in my closet....

knitncook 09-10-2007 09:02 AM

I also use Rubbermaid containers. Big ones. I have a big stash (OK, I adopted a lot of it). However, if I want yarn that is A) still in it's skeins or balls B) not covered in cat hair and C) not used as cat toys (see A) then it HAS to be contained.

Altough lately it seems as though I am storing a lot of my yarn on needles :)

mrslevite 09-10-2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamOKnit (Post 957138)
Mine is in a large multi-drawer plastic unit on wheels that I can pull in and out of my spare closet. The drawers are clear so I can see what's in what drawer!

Oh, I have one of those for some of my scrapbooking supplies. Great idea!

1to1 09-10-2007 11:45 AM

Currently I have it in a large multi-drawer plastic unit on wheels, a couple 3-drawer units on wheels and in plastic bags in a basket. Plus of course, all the WIPs are in various knitting bags.

In the near future (once DD12 bedroom is finished), I am turning a spare bedroom (DS13 old room) into a "craft" room. :woot: I have some bookcases that I'd like to find nice baskets to put the yarn in. I still plan on keeping the yarn in plastic bags though.

I say "craft" room because I only knit and crochet. I did buy a sewing machine to line a bag I knitted.

I'm still trying to decide on the room setup. If I want wood floors or new carpet, what color, etc. Any ideas, tips, suggestions?!