KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Knit Tips (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65781)

mwhite 09-14-2007 11:13 AM

Knit Tips

When the pattern calls for "Bind off loosely", try using a needle one to two sizes larger to complete the bind off! Works great for me! :mrgreen:

Store yarn by content, ie: Cottons, Acrylics, Wools, etc.. in separate storage boxes. Label each box accordingly.

Always keep the yarn wrapper for smaller quantities. Place smaller, balled yarn inside a sealable plastic bag and throw in the wrapper so you'll know the details for future use or trading.

Invest in a bodkin that has a hook at one end and ball at the other for picking up dropped stitches and beading. Very useful tool!

Jan in CA 09-14-2007 11:14 AM

Great tips, thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

chrislt8 09-14-2007 01:43 PM

Thanks for the tips! But, I have to ask, just what IS a bodkin?

mwhite 09-14-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrislt8 (Post 960831)
Thanks for the tips! But, I have to ask, just what IS a bodkin?

I've seen several different bodkins, some used for turning or fixing picks, mostly in sewing. Mine is 9" long, made of steel, has a ball at one end, which helps hold on beads or for point turning or whatever creative need you might have. The other end has a hook like a crochet hook approximately 2.5 mm, used for picking up dropped stitches or bead placement onto knit stitch.

As a sewing tool, itís either an instrument similar to an awl for piercing holes in cloth or a long needle with a large eye and blunt tip for drawing tape, elastic, or ribbon through a casing.

The needle-like bodkin is also an item of interest. It was the tool used to lace stays and bodices. A bodkin was stored in a bodkin case, which looks rather like a flat rectangular version of a lipstick container.

Modern bodkins may have several special features. Some needle-like bodkins have a ballpoint tip for ease of movement through the casing. A flat bodkin is a small metal tool that resembles a matchstick with a hole (or holes) in the end for threading. A third type of bodkin is a piece of wire with one end covered with a plastic tip and the other formed into a loop. A completely different style of bodkin is fashioned like a miniature tongs with gripping teeth on its ends to grasp the material being threaded and a neck ring to tighten and hold it in place.

I used mine for over 30 years as a seamstress and it is invaluable to me as a knitter.

hob 09-14-2007 06:36 PM

more knit tips,
make 3 booties (with any left over yarn)or more incase baby kicks one off to the land of never to be found.
when stuffing toys use your knitting needle to poke in to all the tiny areas like ears.
ok that all i got

mwhite 09-14-2007 06:48 PM

Great tips, Hob! :yay: Thanks for joining in... WE NEED MORE!!!

chrislt8 09-14-2007 08:08 PM

Thanks mwhite for that detailed description of a bodkin - now I am really curious to see one, I'll have to check them out next time I am in a sewing store. Thought I knew most of the gadgets for sewing, but missed that one!

mwhite 10-05-2007 10:44 AM

Felting Tips

The row or lengthwise of an item will felt faster and more than the stitch or horizontal direction. A good rule: Knit or crochet twice the length you want for the finished item and at least 1/3 more for the width.

Use an Icord bind off for the top of a bag to be felted. It keeps the top smooth and even, giving extra strength for the handles. Keep in mind that an Icord bind off uses approximately 3-4 times for yarn than a traditional bind off.

Always use a mesh bag or pillowcase to enclose items to be felted. This keeps the lint from clogging the machine and protects the item as well.

Defining an edge for gussets and bottoms on felted bags. Before felting, on the edges you wish to define, pick up and knit one row, then bind off.

fargo_knitting 10-05-2007 12:53 PM

In addition to mwhite's tip of using a pillowcase....
use a zippered pillowcase when felting. When you check your item, it is easier to unzip/rezip than to tie/untie a wet piece of fabric.

I will have to check out the bodkin idea. I use a crochet hook to pick up stitches and move them along the handle to the end and onto my knitting needle.

Something I take for granted is my old 'Caboodles' make-up case from my high-school years. I use it to keep all of my knitting gadgets. I use a small make-up bag for my knitting necessities, but the Caboodles holds all of my extra gadgets...like a cute tackle box.

Knitting_Guy 10-05-2007 02:32 PM

Don't poke holes in your fingers with your Options.