KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Antique clothes (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67596)

newamy 10-12-2007 03:23 PM

Antique clothes

I have some very unique antique clothes that I am trying to decide what to do with.
There are soem dresses, a cape, and most notably a silk wedding gown with matching slippers. Very old and yellowed but lovely. These date, I beleive from the early 1900's. They are in need of restoring. some items are better than others and some I'm sure could be restored to loevely quality.

Would anyone here have any interest in such things? Or know someone? I have found several antique clothing stores on line but none that seem to buy.

Any advice?

mum2caden 10-12-2007 09:06 PM

I would in a heartbeat (currently planning a victorian wedding for next summer!).. except I sadly am a broke student, lol.

You could always ebay them or contact antique dealers in your area as well. it is hard to know just what to do with that sort of thing if it isn't generally your interest, but if you check some antique stores in your area you will have a better idea of what to sell them for, or maybe one of he places will take them, either buying them, or putting them on consignment. Good luck!

newamy 10-12-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

I would in a heartbeat (currently planning a victorian wedding for next summer!).. except I sadly am a broke student, lol.
The wedding gown would only fit a very petite woman with a corset. Someone maybe 5 feet - 5'2" with a slight build. A place here will restore wedding gowns, but it's upward of 300 dollars and I don't feel like investing that. Because then I would just turn around and sell, perhaps at a profit- but a lot of work and money in the mean time.

I should give the antique stores a call. These items do need cleaning and some repair so it would be ideal to find a perfect home.

Knitting_Guy 10-12-2007 10:10 PM

Craig's List

newamy 10-12-2007 10:14 PM

I have considered craig's list. So far everthing I have posted there has not sold. No one wants my stuff. So I'm not convinced of it being a great venue. My husband has had better luck with it -he sold a truck, an amplifier, and got rid of the kids swing set.

Lighting57 10-14-2007 03:16 PM

What and where is Craig's List? I'm not familiar with it.

Perhaps a local drama club might be interested in your clothes for future plays.

rozina 05-02-2009 07:00 AM

Looking Dresses

Hi my self rozina

I m looking new type of clothes related to wedding.like corset,& many dresses can u help me that any body advise me that how to bye new & cheap dresses.

Wating for ur positive reply

thanks
Rozina

cftwo 05-02-2009 05:41 PM

Lighting57 - Craigs list is sort of an online classified section of the newspaper. If you have something you want to give away/sell - post it on Craigs list and see what happens. It is a better resource in larger metropolitan areas. If you live in the boonies like I do, it's not the best option.

Newamy - I have my great-grandmother's wedding dress (she dyed if after the wedding so she could wear it again!) and I'll probably try to pass it on within the family. But if you don't have any sentimental attachment to it, I'd try to find someone who would value it. A museum with a good textiles section might also appreciate it. I know the Cincinnati Art Museum has such a section, but I don't know of any in the Pacific NW. Maybe the curator of the costumes and textiles collection at the Cincinnati museum would know what you should do.

Aha! I found this directory http://www.textilemuseum.org/PDFs/Wo...ollections.pdf It looks like there might be a facility in California which would be interested. It looks like the OR and WA and ID facilities are more interested in Asian and Native American textiles.

Plantgoddess+ 05-04-2009 10:45 PM

A number of the antique dealers in the Spokane/Couer d'Alene area have antique clothing displayed for sale. I don't know how well it sells and off hand don't remember price ranges either.
I have clothes of mine from the very early 70's in excellent shape and haven't figured out what to do with them either. I tried our yard sale, but the girls that were interested couldn't fit into them. I used to be a skinny little thing (sigh).

MoniDew 05-07-2009 12:12 PM

what about a museum? they have restorers... and would proudly display your treasures.