KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Agh! I just need to vent. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67891)

ladyjessica 10-16-2007 10:51 PM

Agh! I just need to vent.

As I said, I need to vent. While they were home alone today, one of my dogs decided it would be fun to play with my yarn. I accidentally left a plastic bag with my beautiful balls of red, white, and green Cascade 220 and the partially finished Christmas stocking on the floor, and when I came home half my TV room was covered with yarn. I just spent almost 3 hours that I'll never get back untangling, and I now have 18 balls of yarn instead of 3. Also, my pristine yarn is now covered with dog hair and it just doesn't look nice anymore. I hate to buy all new yarn and start again, but I also hate to give someone a stocking that's covered with dog hair. I know I shouldn't unload my problems on everybody here, and I do love my dogs dearly, but come on already. hehe. Anyway, any suggestions for saving my yarn?

brittyknits 10-16-2007 10:58 PM

Hey, that's what we're all here for, to vent at. I'm sure I speak for many of us, if not all, when I say-- it's time for a:grphug:! I can only tell you what I would do-- and that is toss it and go buy more. I know that's a complete pain in the rear, but think of it this way-- how aggravating will it be to be knitting that stocking and seeing a piece of dog hair every inch and a half? If that won't bother you, then ignore my advice. But if it will continue to irritate you, then don't do that to yourself or the receiver. Knitting is about creating and giving, to ourselves and the people in our lives. Keep it happy!:)

meearnol 10-16-2007 11:05 PM

Ah, yes, the ole dog-in-the-stash trick. I know it well. I have a picture on my blog of my dog looking very proud of herself when she got into my stash. I was able to salvage some of it, but some of it went into the trash. I'd say try using it, and if it's really driving you crazy, get some new yarn for your gift. You can always knit something for yourself with the dog fur infused yarn. :teehee:

mrslevite 10-16-2007 11:09 PM

Don't know what to tell you to salvage the yarn. Rename the dogs "Mo" and call it "Mo-Hair" yarn?

My dog has shown no interest in my yarn - till tonight. I have a skein of Bernat's Alpaca that he was terribly interested in, but left alone, just sniffed - a lot! It's only 30% alpaca, but I guess it was enough.

LadyB 10-17-2007 12:04 AM

Could you wash it and/or pick off the dog hair as you are knitting with it? I realize that would add time to your project, but it might be an option.

ladyjessica 10-17-2007 11:04 AM

I think I might continue on with the one I've already started and see what it looks like. Then I'll decide if I want to buy new yarn for the next one. Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

GiddyKnitter 10-17-2007 11:12 AM

Poor you! I have a dog and he used to whip out a ball of yarn right from under my nose and run behind the sofa with it... It's amazing how quick they can unravel a ball of yarn when they are being chased...He thought it was great fun! I nearly always ended up throwing it away as it would have slobber on it as well as loads of knots in it. x

Abbily 10-17-2007 11:49 AM

Aw, Jessica, I'm sorry! I think I would try washing it, and you can always spit-felt the ends together to get it back into three balls. Since you've already spent the time untangling... good luck!!

rissa 10-17-2007 12:37 PM

:muah: So sorry to hear about that! I don't have a dog, but I certainly feel for ya. Hope the one you are working on now works out ok for ya...I'm sure you can pick off the dog hair and wash it when you are finished. Good luck!! :hug:

mdog182 10-17-2007 12:41 PM

awww don't feel bad for venting!! sometimes you just need to let it out.....i don't really have any suggestions besides the one's already listed. but, my thoughts are with you. :wink: