KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Knitting for a guy... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67996)

cindygster 10-18-2007 12:48 PM

Knitting for a guy...

I'd like to knit something really nice for my boyf for Christmas, but I'm afraid of doing a fitted garment since I never have before (I'd like to make a couple crappy ones to practice before I start handing them out to people)... Any suggestions for a masculine scarf or something?:knitting:

Thanks all!!

MMario 10-18-2007 12:51 PM

irish hiking scarf or palindrome scarf - with a matching hat might be nice.

stirsmommy 10-18-2007 12:52 PM

I am making Silver's scarf using malabrigo in a dark green and blue colorway for my guy for his birthday. I am making a Christmas stocking for his Christmas that I will fill with goodies.

brittyknits 10-18-2007 01:27 PM

Have you seen the book, Never Knit Your Man a Sweater, Unless You've Got the Ring?:rofl: Because her philosophy is to give length-of-relationship-appropriate gifts, there are plenty of "guy" items well before the sweater stuff.

bellium 10-18-2007 01:47 PM

i just did this hat for my husband for his birthday, and it was very well received. it isn't hard to make, although there is what i believe a pattern mistake - you should knit 3 inches of stockingette after the ribbing, not 1 inch, as the pattern suggests. i did it in a soft, washable wool, and my husband wears it all the time.

knitgal 10-18-2007 04:51 PM

I'm making my bf a hat because he definitely won't wear a scarf even though we live in Canada. It depends on what you feel like making, something flat, or something in the round. There are lots of great manly hat patterns, here's the one I am going to make: http://www.crumpart.net/patterns/chocribhatpattern.htm

Sunny_Singer 10-19-2007 02:40 AM

My husband is anxious for me to knit him socks... he chose his own colors even... lol

If they won't wear a hat, and rather spurn scarves... maybe socks would be a suggestion, as everyone wears socks!

For his birthday, which is next week, I made a seat cushion for his car, out of Lion Suede which I found on sale for 99 cents a skein. He tried buying regular seat cushions, everything was too thick. This is about 1/2 inch thick instead of 1 1/2 or thicker.

The.Knitter 10-19-2007 03:57 AM

I have to agree with the Palindrome Scarf (Silver's Scarf) and Palindrome hat (Silver's palindrome hat) set. Those are "manly" and also reversible. Some nice blue yarn or (depending on the colour of his winter coat) brown or even dark green. I'm sure if you make it, he will know every stitch is made with love. Happy Knitting.

jess_hawk 10-22-2007 03:15 PM

Hats are a huge favorite for me as gifts for guys. I made some for my friends last year and had a couple of requests because other friends found out that I do double knitting in really warm yarns (alpaca is my favorite) and it results in a really soft warm hat even though I use "masculine" colors and simple, masculine designs - so guys get a hat that will keep out the cold on the coldest of Iowa days (maybe not -70, but they'll work in -15), and is soft on tender, cold ears without giving in to wearing anything "girly."

Another benefit: since I do double knitting, I can do any two color design I want. If you're interested, I can give you my basic pattern. Its a little different from what you'll find online, but it seems to work well.

lelvsdgs 10-22-2007 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brittyknits (Post 985464)
Have you seen the book, Never Knit Your Man a Sweater, Unless You've Got the Ring?:rofl: Because her philosophy is to give length-of-relationship-appropriate gifts, there are plenty of "guy" items well before the sweater stuff.

Yeah, I didn't see this until I had almost finished the sweater... :roflhard: I did start out with a scarf but jumped to a sweater. He loves it...