KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Steeked baby sweater (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68004)

MerigoldinWA 10-18-2007 01:38 PM

Steeked baby sweater

I finished the little baby sweater I made to try a steek. The yarn is Brown Sheep Company Nature Spun (100% wool, sport weight). Many thanks to Ingrid for her sticky and the help she gave to answer questions giving me the confidence for my first attempt at this technique.

I used Eunny Jang's tutorial for a hand sewn steek. I didn't think it was hard, just time consuming. I have always been willing to do hand sewing so this wasn't too great a stretch for me. ;) I thought it worked just fine, but I don't have anything to compare it to.:lol:

I found the little 11 stitch repeat that I used for the overall pattern stitch on one of the links available at Brigittes Knitting Page.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And one that shows the inside and what I did to finish off the steeks. This explains the look the sweater has, that it has shoulder pads. :lol:

[IMG][/IMG]

KnitPrincess 10-18-2007 01:52 PM

wow

That is so cute.. I am too much of a chicken to attempt a sweater. It looks great!

Jan in CA 10-18-2007 03:31 PM

It looks fabulous! A baby sweater is great way to attempt it! I was wondering how the steeks were finished off, too. You did a good job!

GinnyG 10-18-2007 03:36 PM

STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheering:

dip's mom 10-18-2007 04:15 PM

that looks great. I want to try steeks but it seems a little scarey.(alot scarey)

mare-nitt 10-18-2007 04:22 PM

Great job.

I just learned about Steeks a bit ago, wish I would've known sooner. Great idea.

newamy 10-18-2007 04:34 PM

Really great job and really beautiful! :sun:

Could you explain a bit about the finishing off? I've read lots of descriptions fo how to steak but not how to neat the edges.

astonh 10-18-2007 04:38 PM

Congrats on successfully doing steeks. I've not become so brave yet. I LOVE this color choice and ADORE the pattern repeat!!!

MerigoldinWA 10-18-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Could you explain a bit about the finishing off? I've read lots of descriptions fo how to steak but not how to neat the edges.
I think I read you could tack them down with yarn or sewing thread and I did it with thread. The steek kind of wants to roll in a bit and I let the edge where it had been sewn turn under (and helped it where needed) and sewed it with a similar color thread to one of the colors I knitted with. I divided the yarn on the back side as I tacked it down and it doesn't show on the front at all.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

knitgal 10-18-2007 05:04 PM

Gorgeous! You deserve a pat on the back for this, honestly. It's just a beautiful sweater, I wish it was human sized, I would wear it!