KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Patons SWS YArn! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68396)

bajanKnit 10-24-2007 12:41 PM

Patons SWS YArn!

Hi eevryone I would like your opinion on this yarn please Patons SWS Yarn. Is it soft does it split is it very easy to knit with? Your help greatly appreciated.

trollgirl 10-24-2007 12:49 PM

I've had a scarf made from SWS on the needles for the logest time. It's pretty nice to work with and in my experience doesn't split a lot. It feels soft enough in my hands, however, it does feel a little scratchy/itchy when I put the resulting fabric against my neck. I'm not very sensitive to scratchiness by the way, but I probably wouldn't make any garment out of it. I don't even know if I'm going to finish the scarf. It might be okay for hats if you have a layer of hair to protect your bare scalp from the itchiness.

I hear it felts beautifully though, so it would probably be good for felted bags and things like that.

Ginnyb 10-24-2007 01:59 PM

Hi!

I am just finishing my first sweater and I am using Paton's SWS. I am a beginner knitter and I have loved working with this yarn, doesn't split, soft, but not too soft. Now to me, it doesn't seem too scratchy, but I will be wearing something under the sweater anyway...
Ginny

brendajos 10-24-2007 03:43 PM

i think the deal with the SWS scratchiness is that it has tiny little fibers in it that are more tickley than anything. Because it is essentially a non-plied yarn, I do find that it does split sometimes if i am knitting without looking AT ALL... basically i stick my needle in the wrong spot. :) otherwise it really is very nice to work with. I do find it is kind of sheddy when i am working with it. I have never worn any of the scarves I have made out of it though so I don't know if it continues to do so after it is knit up. It sheds sort of like a mohair yarn might shed.

If you are on ravelry you can see my Danica scarves I have made out of it (The Pink and the blue scarves.... the other one is from Malabrigo.) I doubt i would ever do another danica in anything other than the SWS because the stripes are almost perfect! ;)

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/brendajos/danica

Sorry I can't link anything better right now because I can't log into any of my photo accounts. Stupid work! :tap:

Mayday 10-24-2007 04:26 PM

I am currently using this yarn to make a kitty pi. So I will be felting it. For me it feels soft working with it, but I am knitting very slowly due to the splitting of the fibers. It looks cool when it is knit!

So I guess I am giving it a mixed review. I am glad to hear from another post that it felts well, as that is what I am intending to do!

mayday

of troy 10-24-2007 08:30 PM

I made my first hat from SWS stripes last year when the yarn came out.. i have quite a bit in my stash now, and just last this month (early part) made an other hat and matching scarf..

the pattern for the first hat--the natural plum--is outlined.. not a detailed pattern, but general directions--on my blog (there is button on lower left column.)

the hat and scarf set is also my own design.

i am thinking (have been for a while!) about a match scarf for first hat,and might make one yet!
Plum hat here and here

CindyS 10-24-2007 09:37 PM

I bought some SWS at AC Moore during their last Midnight Madness sale, and I think I'm going to use it for a matching Calorimetry and Clapotis. If I have enough left, maybe even some mittens. Then I have to go out and buy a winter coat to match all these lovely accessories. :P

Mrs. Columbo 10-24-2007 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used it for the drawstring bag in my signature link and really liked it. Didn't find it splitty though it's "hairy" and I'm thinking I wouldn't like it as a scarf or something up next to my face but it's wonderfully soft and was easy to work with. I'm planning on making a couple more bags but I have no clue about I cord so it's still a stringless open bag!!! :wall:

Attachment 44720

bajanKnit 10-25-2007 06:17 AM

:cheering:Thanks everyone for your comments.:cheering:

I realize there are mixed reviews I want to do the Palindrome Hat and scarf from Silver I just love it and it will be my first cable project.

bajanKnit 10-25-2007 06:20 AM

Your FO's are very nice the yarn looks very shiny and soft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by of troy (Post 990347)
I made my first hat from SWS stripes last year when the yarn came out.. i have quite a bit in my stash now, and just last this month (early part) made an other hat and matching scarf..

the pattern for the first hat--the natural plum--is outlined.. not a detailed pattern, but general directions--on my blog (there is button on lower left column.)

the hat and scarf set is also my own design.

i am thinking (have been for a while!) about a match scarf for first hat,and might make one yet!
Plum hat here and here