KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   direction to wrap yarn in knit stitch (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68441)

apinchofhope 10-24-2007 10:11 PM

direction to wrap yarn in knit stitch

I have been knitting for a few years off and on, and I'm currently half-way through a super long harry potter scarf (red and gold stripes) on circular needles (which are so cool to use!). I was sitting with a friend who also knits, and we noticed that we knit differently. when I do the knit stitch, I wrap my yarn clockwise around the needle, while she wraps hers counter-clockwise. I have "knitting for dummies" and it shows wrapping the yarn counter-clockwise, but I don't remember what my book said (that I learned from)... is there any detriment to my knitting because I wrap it the other way? the finished stockinette stitch looks normal and neat, no twisted yarn or anything... any thoughts? :??

Ingrid 10-24-2007 10:42 PM

I wrap counter-clockwise. Wrapping the other way will produce a twisted stitch, but if they're all twisted, it's not necessarily noticeable.

Jax3303 10-25-2007 08:28 AM

as long as you always wrap the same direction for all stitches, there's nothing to worry about. I wrap counter-clockwise for everything and never have problems, my best friend wraps everything clockwise for every stitch with the same results. I have another friend who insists on wrapping counter-clockwise for K's and clockwise for P's and no matter how many times I explain it to her, she still does it and every piece of flat stockinette that she does is all twisted stitches.

GiddyKnitter 10-25-2007 08:50 AM

Clockwise for me too..I suppose once you have learned to knit a certain way it's very hard to change. When using straights I rest my right needle over my arm! No one else in our knitting group holds theirs like that but it's how I was shown and it's comfortable for me.

cftwo 10-25-2007 10:10 AM

I wrap counter clockwise for everything, but I don't suppose it really matters - unless you aren't consistent, as Jax says.

MMario 10-25-2007 11:53 AM

It depends on how you look at the needles whether I wrap closckwise or counter-clockwise. I wrap FORWARD between the needles then up and BACK over the needle for knits. For purls I wrap BACK, OVER the needle then FORWARD between the needles. Same direction for both but starting on oppisete sides of the needle.

gargoylelib 10-25-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax3303 (Post 990577)
as long as you always wrap the same direction for all stitches, there's nothing to worry about. I wrap counter-clockwise for everything and never have problems, my best friend wraps everything clockwise for every stitch with the same results. I have another friend who insists on wrapping counter-clockwise for K's and clockwise for P's and no matter how many times I explain it to her, she still does it and every piece of flat stockinette that she does is all twisted stitches.

You should point your friend over to this site to learn about
combination knitting. It is basically what she is doing but to
keep from having twisted stitches she needs to knit through
the back loop. I knit this way and love it!
Libbie :)

MellieThePooh 10-25-2007 09:28 PM

I'm having a hard time thinking of my needle as a clock. I found that it was easy to pull the yarn through if I wrapped it one way, and that it got stuck if I wrapped it the other way. I chose the way that worked.

cusebassman 10-26-2007 09:46 AM

In the knit-stitch, I wrap clockwise myself, now that I think about it... perhaps that's why my stockinette pieces always have a pronounced difference between knit and perl rows... its not bad-looking, but you can tell, especially with thick, fuzzy yarns (like velvetspun), that alternating rows are done somehow different. Well, I'm halfway through a blanket, better not worry about it now :think: