KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Could you help? I'm confused about begining of this pattern (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69378)

MsB 11-07-2007 09:25 PM

Could you help? I'm confused about begining of this pattern

Pattern:
Cast on 5 stitches, knit around. Place a marker to mark the beginning of the round.

Next round, make 1 stitch in each stitch (10 stitches).Where did they get 10 stitches?

Is there a round missing?

Round 5: *k1, yo* around to marker. (20 stitches).

knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm

Thanks in advance

The.Knitter 11-07-2007 09:32 PM

NO there is not a round missing. Making one stitch in each stitch doubles your stitch count. YO means yarn over which also will give you double the stitch count according to what you wrote. That is how you get twenty stitches! Happy Knitting!

scout52 11-07-2007 09:33 PM

the parathenes (sp?) is showing you how many stitches you will have after you have finished the row.

It appears they want you to make extra stitches by knitting in the front and back of each stitch giving 10 stitches at the end of the round.

for round 5 its the same. after you finish the round you will have 20 stitches. the yarn over is a lacy increase. after the yarn over you will have 20 stitches on the round.

the next round should have you knitting into the yarn over.

did i make that clearer?

MsB 11-07-2007 09:40 PM

Thank you both. I now understand how I am getting the 10 stitches.

But I'm still confused about one of the rounds;

Round 1: Cast on 5 stitches,
Round 2: knit around. Place a marker to mark the beginning of the round.
Round 3: Next round, make 1 stitch in each stitch (10 stitches).

This is where I am confused...LOL...at least I think. Where am I missing the round. Is it earlier in the instructions?

The.Knitter 11-07-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsB (Post 999801)
Thank you both. I now understand how I am getting the 10 stitches.

But I'm still confused about one of the rounds;

Round 1: Cast on 5 stitches,
Round 2: knit around. Place a marker to mark the beginning of the round.
Round 3: Next round, make 1 stitch in each stitch (10 stitches).

This is where I am confused...LOL...at least I think. Where am I missing the round. Is it earlier in the instructions?

OK I am going to break it down a bit further for you to help you understand.

- Cast on 5 stitches.
- Knit one round (that means knit those 5 stitches).
- Then place marker at the beginning of the next round (which means after those 5 stitches have been knit, place a stitch marker between the fifth stitch and the next one you are going to knit).
- Then knit one round, making 1 stitch in each stitch you knit, thus giving you 10 stitches.

Hope this helps.

MsB 11-07-2007 09:52 PM

Thank you, yes I do see how to get the 10 stitches, and that is round 3. The next set of instructions is for round 5 :shrug:

LOL...where is round 4 :)

scout52 11-07-2007 10:25 PM

It should be just plain old knit to pick up the new stitch you made in round 3 and to prepare you for round 5

MsB 11-07-2007 10:33 PM

Thanks Scout

The.Knitter 11-07-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsB (Post 999806)
Thank you, yes I do see how to get the 10 stitches, and that is round 3. The next set of instructions is for round 5 :shrug:

LOL...where is round 4 :)

Sorry, I missed it totally. I did not see that there was no round 4 listed. My apologies to you!

Happy Knitting!

scout52 11-07-2007 10:44 PM

You are very welcome. I hate when they just assume everyone is at the same level of knitting. They just get lazy and leave it out thinking everyone automatically knows the next step.