KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Little Orange Bottles (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69380)

ADAllen 11-07-2007 10:35 PM

Little Orange Bottles

I just found out a month ago that I have Hypothyrodism. It is not at all uncommon, it is just uncommon in women my age (24). All it really means is that I'll have to take a synthetic homone pill for the rest of my life. I've taken my first month's dosage, and now I have this empty little bottle that is not recycleable and the pharmacy will not take it back to reuse it. I'm starting to feel really bad about throwing one of these away every month for the rest of my life. So, I'm turning to you guys for advise on what to do with them.

So far I haven't come up with anything in my house to store in them. I don't do bead work or anything. My hobbies are knitting and coloring and neither of those have little small things that need to be stored and protected. Do you guys have any ideas? Or do you know of organizations or places that collect them for any reason?

The.Knitter 11-07-2007 10:44 PM

You could use them as the centers of balls of yarn. Roll the yarn around it to make it easier to start rolling the yarn into a ball. Other than that, you could use them to store darning needles or stitch markers, safety pins or point protectors. Good luck!

kellyh57 11-08-2007 12:08 AM

Is there a church mission group that would use them?

I made "rattles" for the kids out of pill bottles. I just put popcorn in them and since they were child-proof, I never had to worry about them getting into them. If I was ambitious, I'd put stickers to make them pretty, but most weren't.

I think they'd be great for traveling if nothing else...

Kelly

Becky Morgan 11-08-2007 12:38 AM

Or do what we used to with baby bottles: glue the caps to the underside of a shelf and hang the bottles from them (lightweight craft supplies only unless you like strange crashing noises at midnight when the jar of bolts lets go unexpectedly.)

All three of my sisters have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, my mom had it, and I either do or will--haven't got this year's blood work back yet. Synthroid is a Godsend. I hope you empty many, many of those little orange bottles over the course of a long life.

DianaM 11-08-2007 12:45 AM

My mom uses them for jewelry storage and when she travels she puts her "travel jewelry" in one of them.

iwouldratherbeknitting 11-08-2007 08:40 AM

Save them up and donate them to an art teacher at an elementary school- or lower grade elementary teachers-- trust me- they'll find a use for them. :D

I put earrings in them when I travel too.

GinnyG 11-08-2007 09:04 AM

A church I went to once collected the large size pill bottles and as a Sunday School project the kids made "Versamins" for gifts. They were scriptures printed on slips of paper and you were suppoed to "take one a day".

PurlyGyrl 11-08-2007 09:25 AM

Like you, I have to take thyroid meds. I keep beads in my "little" bottle collection. They are also good for knitting odds and ends--stitch markers, tapestry needles, etc. Anything I don't want my dog to get hold of.

Abbily 11-08-2007 10:16 AM

I bet preschools could use them!

ADAllen 11-08-2007 12:01 PM

Thank you guys for all the suggestions! I've been finding a few more uses for them, but I probably won't use a year's worth. I'll check with my local schools and their art departments. Those are great ideas! Keep em coming