KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What is your favorite needle type? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70021)

Nichan 11-16-2007 09:26 PM

What is your favorite needle type?

Hi,
Please share your opinion and experience in using many needle types: wood, bamboo,alumunium or other metals, plastic, etc...including whether it's straight, circular, or dpns...why you like one type and in what case you will use the one type over another...
i use metals mostly and i rarely use bamboo and plastic because the bamboo and plastic needle size i use is big or small...i'm going to buy again needle in medium size like US7-8 but i really want to make sure before i go...
my projects mostly are bags, hats, mittens...i don't plan to make any wardrobe and so far, no thanks :) ...but in the future i want to make socks, bikini, scarf in fun style...

please, help me by sharing your experience...any experience...any...
thanks!:thumbsup:

Mommy22alyns 11-16-2007 09:32 PM

Pointy aluminum circulars. I sound like a robot, but I can't think of using any needles but the KP Options or fixed circs. Addis are lovely but oh so expensive. I can see bamboo or wood for slippy yarns.
I may never use DPN's again after learning Magic Loop! :woot:

Quiara 11-16-2007 09:37 PM

I'm a nickel-plated circs girl all the way. I haven't used straights in years.

Ingrid 11-16-2007 09:38 PM

Addis or Options for me, too; I use bamboo dpns, though.

KnitClickChick 11-16-2007 09:43 PM

I love all needles - in my "collection" I have acrylic, bamboo, metal, plastic, and glass. Circs, straights, and DPNs. I like circs best I think, just because they don't get in the way like the straights do.

Newbie2Knitting 11-16-2007 09:55 PM

I started on straight aluminum & when I tried circs (I used aluminum first there, too) it felt *really* weird to me. Then I tried some bamboo circs and I am officially in love.

knitgal 11-16-2007 11:10 PM

Since I only started knitting over a year ago, I haven't invested in a set of Options yet, but I am coveting them. My aunt has both the Options and Harmony sets and I am SO jealous. Anyways, I usually use plastic or metal needles (I'm a cheap date). I have an Addi circ, but I haven't started the project that they're for yet. I also have some bamboo needles for an alpaca lace scarf. So...favourite? I guess I don't know yet.

Braden 11-16-2007 11:12 PM

Addi Turbos or KnitPicks Options (the nickel plate kind). I just really like slippery metal needles, and these are all I use.

Spikey 11-16-2007 11:18 PM

KP Harmony for slippery yarns, Options for everything else. That's it. Won't use any other needles. No need.

starburst 11-17-2007 02:36 AM

I bought my first set of Denise interchangeables today and I think I'm in love :) I like that I have a wide array of needles and they all work together. I would have gotten the Options, but they were more expensive and I'm a little leary of spending more than I have to right now