KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   ever used microfiber yarn? **update on page 2** (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70733)

mooshie 11-27-2007 09:53 PM

ever used microfiber yarn? **update on page 2**

a few days ago I saw microspun from lion brand yarn at JoAnn's, and it was SOOOOO soft! I imagine I'd love wearing anything made out of it. have any of you ever worked with this yarn? would it be as wonderful as I'm imagining?

oh yeah, and how is the palette fingering weight yarn that knitpicks sells for only $1.99/skein? would this be a good yarn to try my first pair of socks on?

thanks!

brendajos 11-27-2007 10:00 PM

There are a lot of mixed feelings about microspun around here. I don't think anybody would disagree that it is supah soft because it is. But it is also VERY splitty and can be generally funky to work with. The plies are pretty defined so it is really easy to split the yarn. The softness makes it pretty slippery too. So a sharp needle that has some grip is probably the best way to work with it (from my experience anyway.) I am not a fan of it but i have been sucked in by its super softness. Someone has knit washclothes out of it and says they are WONDERFUL.

haven't used the other though. ;)

mooshie 11-27-2007 10:09 PM

ooh those would be some SOFT washcloths! maybe I should try it out with those just to see how I like it? afterall it's sooo soft! it deservs a shot huh?

alleusion 11-27-2007 10:20 PM

I've crocheted booties with it. It's beautiful to work with on a hook, but I've no experience with knitting it.

fibrenut 11-27-2007 10:25 PM

The little halter dress on the sweetie in my avatar is lion brand microspun. It's great nice n soft but like the previous poster said it does split...alot! That's ok though, just gotta mind yer p's n k's and it'll be ok.

brittyknits 11-27-2007 10:41 PM

The pluses: fabulously soft, the very best thing if you ever have the occasion to knit a chemo cap (I hope you don't, of course!). Also the stitches come out incredibly even, like a machine made it.
But the minus-- yes, it does split. But if you watch what you're doing and are a knitter who tends to be a little on the looser side, then it is fine. I like your idea of trying something small and seeing what happens!

mwhite 11-27-2007 10:54 PM

I've got a top made from the coral color and it is gorgeous! It does split and slide, so I used bamboo needles and that helped alot! Mary

BinkyKat 11-27-2007 10:56 PM

I made the Lacy Thong :teehee: of black Microspun. It turned out great but it's splitty, so yes, mind your p's and k's :thumbsup:
I didn't do the picot edging because a) I was in a hurry to get it done in a day and 2) I didn't want mess with the possibility of hating the splittiness with a hook.
Generally speaking, with care it's ok :thumbsup:
p.s. knit clothes with it was a great idea to use on windows, microfibre clothes are super and popular.

Jan in CA 11-27-2007 11:03 PM

I made some washcloths with it. It's not quite as absorbant as cotton, but if you squeeze it out good it works pretty well. PLUS it holds it's color and doesn't stain like that #@%& Sugar and Cream does! :teehee:

mathwizard 11-27-2007 11:03 PM

microspun

I am just finishing up a knitted tie. I will post a picture when I finished sewing it up. The yarn was a dream to work with and I didn't have a problm with it splitting at all. This tie has over 600 rows and I do not exaggerate. It has taken a long time but it was a labor of love for my middle son. I just have to iron and stitch it up the back.:muah::cheering: