KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creating Yarn: Spinning, Dyeing, etc. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Drop spindle versus spinning wheel? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70834)

Jolita 11-29-2007 03:34 PM

Drop spindle versus spinning wheel?

Dear Friends,

I am a passionate knitter. As many of you (I think) I realized that I am not satisfied with the yarn I could buy (especially in such a small market like Lithuania). I buy only natural fibers and prefer luxurious blends from soft wool, cashmere, alpaca, angora, silk etc. So I ended up with few drop spindles and tops of different fibers. I planned to buy a spinning wheel and though that with a spinning wheel I can produce more even and beautiful yarn and of course more quickly. I was extremely surprised than in the Priscillaís A.Gibson-Roberts book I found the assumption that with a spinning wheel you canít produce such even yarn as with a drop spindle, because you can better control the flow, drafting and twist. I found the book Spinning in the Old Way amazing and I think she (Priscilla) is a real expert. Does it make than the sense to buy a spinning wheel? I canít try any spinning wheel because I donít know anybody who spins (in our country it is not popular at all). Please help me to make a decision. Any opinion is welcome.

Thank You in advance,
Jolita

Kime 11-29-2007 03:43 PM

You can certainly spin fine and even yarns with a spinning wheel, and it is faster. I always had more trouble getting even yarn with a drop spindle, but I didn't practice as much as I did with the wheel. We have spinning groups here like spinning clubs and nearly everyone gets a wheel if they keep spinning.

hocns 11-29-2007 04:31 PM

I have done both, and love my wheels. Drop spindles really annoy me, even though some people are very good at it. I can't see getting a more even twist from a drop spindle than from a wheel, although I'm sure that varies from person to person.

Julie 12-01-2007 02:38 PM

I definitely agree that it depends on the spinner. I spin both ways and I love them both. I got pretty proficient on a spindle before I bought my wheel, and I'm really glad I did things in that order...but some people just never feel the spindle love. I was glad to get my drafting skills down before I had to worry about treadling too. :) But really, there's no right or wrong way to learn.

People always talk about wheels being faster, and they are -- but that doesn't mean that spindles are horrendously slow. If I predraft I can spin about 100 yards in an hour on a spindle...so it's not as though it takes two weeks to spin a skein of yarn. It's just a different process. And as you learn you'll probably find that there are things to like about either method.

That said -- I wouldn't be too nervous about buying a wheel without having used one -- of course it's best to try before you buy, but if you're determined to learn, IMO it's not a deal-breaker. I hadn't spun on a wheel before mine came (well, I did spend about 5 minutes on a Traveller...not very significant) and with the help of the Internet I was able to get up and going pretty quickly. :thumbsup:

redwitch 12-03-2007 12:05 AM

Many people would be happy to order/receive things for you and send them overseas to you, I think. If there's anything you want from NZ and can't have sent to you, I would forward it for you

Sarah

Jolita 12-03-2007 01:01 PM

Thanks!Decision made

Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for Your thoughts. After I studied Priscillaís book I ordered a new spindle. It seams that a lot depends from a good spindle too :) I think I will buy a spinning wheel. Now I should decide which one. Thanks to internet the best two markets for spinners (US and NZ) are open to us too and I order everything possible through internet.

Thank you once again,
Jolita

Edvinasal 01-27-2011 07:09 AM

Hi! whwre do you by a drop spindle in lithuania?

Labas! kur perki verpstukus lietuvoje?

ZoeS 03-14-2011 04:57 PM

I would try e-bay and look for sellers who ship world wide.

ElsieAlford 03-19-2011 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoeS (Post 1318412)
I would try e-bay and look for sellers who ship world wide.

I agree e-bay is the best place for that.