KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Oh dear... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71031)

Dangles 12-03-2007 12:56 AM

Oh dear...

When my DS woke up today from his nap, we usually snuggle after, and I was like what is smelly-ness on you. I thought it may some milk he had before nap time that may dribbled down his cheek. So I washed his face, ears and neck. Nope. Still some odour from his ear. But he has not been fussing. Those with experience any advice? Is it an ear infection possibly? My DD hasn't had one so I have no idea what the signs are.

Thanks.

Sewing Angel 12-03-2007 02:19 AM

Is there any pus or anything in his ear canal? That could mean a ruptured ear drum. The other thing is sometimes little kids put things in their ears and makes unpleasantness. Both my kids had lots of ear infections. Usually little kids will pull at their ears and just be generally fussy. You might want to give the Dr. a call just to make sure.
Angel

CountryKitty 12-03-2007 09:05 AM

Ditto what angel said.

Some children don't have much in the way of symptoms--my gran'boy never ran a fever or anything, he would just cry one afternoon for a bit, then his folks would notice some drainage in his ear. Most will let you know something is wrong.

Hubby as a small boy stuck a bean up his nose and his Mom didn't know about it til she noticed he had terrible breath, so do look inside his ear with a flashlight. (You didn't mention his age but even if your DS is too small to put anything there, sometimes older sisters get odd notions about handling baby brothers. My DS at a bit over a year stripped himself one day to sleep au natural--2 1/2 yo sister got her hands on permanent markers in several colors and gave him some decoratives swirls! OY!)

Let us know what you learn!

Knitting_Guy 12-03-2007 10:58 AM

Rinse his ears with one of those irrigation syringes and a good ear wash solution. If the odor returns after that take him to a doctor to have it checked.

debinoz 12-03-2007 01:06 PM

My oldest DD had the same thing a few years ago. Just an odd odor around her head. I made her shower, wash her hair, brush her teeth and the smell was still there. I thought maybe there was something spilled on her pillow making her head smell. When I checked her pillow case, there was a small spot of puss and blood. She had a ruptured ear drum. I think it's odd that it didn't hurt like heck, but she never complained once.

kellyh57 12-03-2007 02:08 PM

My son had the exact same thing happen. Well, not the napping part...But, we smelled something funny in his ear. He wasn't cranky, pulling at his ears and didn't have any other symptoms. Took him to the doctor and it was indeed an infection. Doctor didn't believe us that we could smell something because there was no sign of rupturing. That was the last time we went there!

Kelly

Dangles 12-03-2007 03:18 PM

Nothing that I can see. But I'll be taking him to see the doc tonight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sewing Angel (Post 1015658)
Is there any pus or anything in his ear canal? That could mean a ruptured ear drum.
Angel