KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   circular needle info (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71123)

busy_hands 12-04-2007 02:23 PM

circular needle info

I just purchased several circular needles second hand through the classifieds. They are:
1-size 10 with 20" length, 1 size 6 with 20" length, 1 size 7 with 9 1/2" length and 1 size 11 with 15" length. The sizes are Canadian. The first one, the size 10 with 20" length is made of metal, and the rest are plastic.
Can anyone tell me a few basic things I should know about using these needles (ie are you limited to knitting the whole length of the needle or can your work be smaller with a portion of the plastic cable held outside of the kntting? did I read that somewhere?) and also what the metal needle would be best suited for.
thanks a bunch!;)

dreamsherl 12-04-2007 03:07 PM

Hello busy_hands,Check out these web articles about circular needles.http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/FE...ularbasics.htm

PrisKnits 12-04-2007 03:54 PM

Circs

Dear Busy Hands,
Just a quick note, if you haven't already been advised by someone else, you *can* accomodate more than 20 inches of knitting on a 20inch circular, however, consider that if you like to look at your work as it really is going to look, and not all bunched up then I would definitely consider the width of what you are going to knit and put them on circs that are longer (wider). That way you can spread your work out from time to time to admire what it really looks like (and it also allows you to see any mistakes made)--sorry I had to mention that.
Hope you enjoy the new purchase.

Knitting_Guy 12-04-2007 04:19 PM

Your work can surely be smaller than the length of the circs. If knitting flat it's no problem at all, if you're knitting in the round and the work is much smaller you can either use two circs or, my favorite, the Magic Loop technique. Amy has a great video demonstrating the Magic Loop.

Mulderknitter 12-04-2007 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy (Post 1016729)
Your work can surely be smaller than the length of the circs. If knitting flat it's no problem at all, if you're knitting in the round and the work is much smaller you can either use two circs or, my favorite, the Magic Loop technique. Amy has a great video demonstrating the Magic Loop.

I don't know why, but I think I am inordinately afraid of magic loop. I know I can do it, but it still sceers me:zombie:

losnana 12-04-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulderknitter (Post 1016751)
I don't know why, but I think I am inordinately afraid of magic loop. I know I can do it, but it still sceers me:zombie:

I'm scared of MANY things about knitting, but ML is not one. I love it! DPNs scare the pudding out of me.

Knitting_Guy 12-04-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulderknitter (Post 1016751)

Everyone is skeered of something. For you it's ML, for me it's giant green and yellow spotted space frogs. :mrgreen:

Mulderknitter 12-04-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy (Post 1016844)
Everyone is skeered of something. For you it's ML, for me it's giant green and yellow spotted space frogs. :mrgreen:

jeez, now I'm scared of those too!:zombie:

ecb 12-04-2007 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulderknitter (Post 1016875)
jeez, now I'm scared of those too!:zombie:

me too, I can be scared of anything Mason is, AND heights, but not magic Loops, never anything with Magic in the name

ecb

suzeeq 12-04-2007 11:20 PM

Why not just pick up some scrap yarn and CO about 40 sts to try out magic loop? Just play with it, make a tube. That way you can get used to it and maybe try it for handwarmers or sleeves next time.