KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Caron Simply Soft (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71144)

BlueEyezz 12-04-2007 09:33 PM

Caron Simply Soft

Am I the only one that gets frustrated with this yarn?? The only one that can't stand it?? ARGH! The first time I used it, the ply seemed to like separating a lot, but I just thought that since it was because it was my very first project. However, I bought a skein today to do a neckwarmer and have been frustrated out of my mind. Once again, issues with the plys separating and getting all tangle as I go.

I just ranted to rant and see if others have had problems, because I'm considering NOT buying this ever again.

:verysad:

Mulderknitter 12-04-2007 09:39 PM

:pout: I am sorry that you have had a bad experience. I tend to love the $#@ out of Caron simply soft. It does split, but most yarns do sometimes, but generally if I use a big enough needle (us 10+) im ok. Maybe try to email the manufacturer and you may get a replacement skein?

BlueEyezz 12-04-2007 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulderknitter (Post 1016932)
:pout: I am sorry that you have had a bad experience. I tend to love the $#@ out of Caron simply soft. It does split, but most yarns do sometimes, but generally if I use a big enough needle (us 10+) im ok. Maybe try to email the manufacturer and you may get a replacement skein?

Lol, maybe I'm just bad at knitting still. Ha ha...

julier803 12-04-2007 10:14 PM

I did a feather/fan lace scarf with the Caron Simply soft and really enjoyed working with it. I'm still a beginner, so maybe I'm used to splitting yarns, but I don't remember it giving me any real hassle. Hope it gets better for you! :)

Knitting_Guy 12-04-2007 10:16 PM

It's one of my favorite less expensive yarns.

BlueEyezz 12-04-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julier803 (Post 1016951)
I did a feather/fan lace scarf with the Caron Simply soft and really enjoyed working with it. I'm still a beginner, so maybe I'm used to splitting yarns, but I don't remember it giving me any real hassle. Hope it gets better for you! :)

Yeah, I'm still kind of a beginner, only been doing this for a few months. But have already branched out to some more expensive brands. I really love the way the Simply Soft feels, so maybe I'll just keep trucking on it.

It seems I'm the only one who's had some frustration so I won't give up on it just yet, I guess, but seriously -- if anyone, even ONE person has a complaint, I'll feel a lot better. Lol. . . :)

ChrissyB 12-04-2007 10:24 PM

Maybe its the way you are holding the yarn, or if you turn your work the opposite way of the plies at the end of each row. I am not sure if that made sense. I have not had trouble with Simply soft, but I find some plied yarns do tend to unravel on me for above said reasons. Good Luck.

BlueEyezz 12-04-2007 10:32 PM

It must be the way I'm holding the yarn. . .I'll keep an eye out on my technique.

bip 12-04-2007 10:36 PM

It is definitely my favorite bargain yarn. The only issue I've had is that not all colors are equally soft. I have a skein of black that is not as soft as usual, and some of the navy blue I've used were very soft and some were much less soft.

yarnrainbow 12-04-2007 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueEyezz (Post 1016956)
...but seriously -- if anyone, even ONE person has a complaint, I'll feel a lot better. Lol. . . :)

OK, here's your "one person". Yep, you're right...it splits like crazy on me too. And it frequently causes me to slow down my knitting to try and prevent the splitting. :wall: As a matter of fact, I'm making a cap for my brother with it right now (just put it down to make this post) and I feel like it has taken me FOREVER just to finish the ribbing because I keep having to tink at least 10 stitches every row due to splitting when I go too fast. :frog:

Now, having said that, I still really like it! It 1) is sooooo soft, 2) as Mason said, is "less expensive", 3) has a pretty good color selection and 4) can be purchased conveniently at the big box stores and online.

So, just Crossed Fingers, :pray: , and keep trying. I've made some beautiful scarves and baby blankets with this stuff. It really is worth it!