KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Caron Simply Soft (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71445)

Ginnyb 12-09-2007 02:28 PM

Caron Simply Soft

I am so bad at knowing whether a particular yarn is good for a project. Is Caron Simply Soft good for just about anything? Scarves, hats, mittens etc????? I have heard this yarn mentioned on this forum a lot and this weekend I was in Michaels (we don't have one close to me) and I bought some just because it felt so good, the color was wonderful and I had heard a lot of you talk about the yarn, so now I want to knit something with it!!!

Ginny

redheadrachel 12-09-2007 02:30 PM

I use it for scarves and hats all the time, and it works great. It's just good if you need something worsted weight, at an affordable price, and washable. It's much softer than most acrylics, and very afforable if you need a lot of something. I can't say I'd like an all-acrylic sweater or socks, but for things like hats, scarves, baby items, blankets, etc. I think Simply Soft is a great choice.

Jan in CA 12-09-2007 02:33 PM

I've used it a lot for baby hats and sweaters and I love it. It washes beautifully and gets even softer if that is possible. And the color choice is fabulous!

There will always be people who don't like one yarn or the other, even well loved yarns so don't let it sway you too much. If you aren't sure get one skein and test it and see if you like the way it works up.

Knitting_Guy 12-09-2007 02:52 PM

It's one of my favorite general purpose yarns.

knitaholic 12-09-2007 03:14 PM

I love this yarn--I've made several vests out of it and they are very pretty and soft.

Knitaholic

Jan in CA 12-09-2007 03:19 PM

One thing though.. any acrylic yarn won't be as warm as wool or woll blends and if it gets wet it's not insulating like wool. If you live in a cold climate and want to make hats, mittens, scarves, etc keep that in mind. If it's thick and dry it would probably be okay if it's not extremely cold. :thumbsup:

cam90066 12-09-2007 03:21 PM

I've made several full cardis with it...as well as numerous scarves...turned out great. Of the many pieces I've made with it all but one were for others and they were very pleased with the fabric. Personally I'm not keen on the sheen (I prefer a dull look to my yarns).

cam

lostchyld 12-09-2007 03:29 PM

I used it for the pecan pie beret and Elann.com's Garden Paths shawl. It worked nicely for both. I won't probably use it again unless my stash runs out or I'm making a blanket. I prefer knitting with wool, even cheap, coarse wool.

Miley384 12-09-2007 03:31 PM

I absolutely hate simpy soft yarn. Mine unravels and becomes frizzy. I will never knit with it again.

Jan in CA 12-09-2007 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miley384 (Post 1020194)
I absolutely hate simpy soft yarn. Mine unravels and becomes frizzy. I will never knit with it again.

I think you're in the minority here, but it just leaves more for us who love it. :thumbsup: