KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Help understanding Peter easy vest pattern (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71498)

Ivy 12-10-2007 06:42 AM

Help understanding Peter easy vest pattern

I am planning to knit a men's vest using this pattern.
This is my first big and I want to make sure I understand the pattern correctly.

Back:

End on RS
Does it mean should I stop after knitting the right side or after knitting the wrong side row? If I am doing stockinette stitch, should I stop after the knit row or the purl row?

Change to larger needles
Should I slip the stitches from one needle to another knitwise or purlwise?

dec 20(20-22-22-24) sts evenly spaced across 82(90-100-108-118) sts

I do k2tog after every 5 stitch?

Shaping armholes:

Bind off 6(6-7-8-9) sts at beg of the next 2 rows 70(78-86-92-100) sts

Why only beginning of rows? Won't this make the piece asymmetric?

Dec 1 st each side every RS row 8(10-11-12-14) times 54(58-64-68-72) sts
I decrement only on RS and not WS?

Trouble starts when I come to Front. I just don't understand what I am supposed to do.

Shape Armholes and V-Neck: Next Row (RS): Bind off 6(6-7-8-9) sts, work until there are 34(38-42-45-49) sts on RH needle, sl center 2 sts onto holder, join another ball of yarn and k to end. Work both sides at once.

As the pattern continues, it becomes all the more complicated. Is there a tutorial which I can use?

Abbily 12-10-2007 11:19 AM

I don't think I can answer all of your questions, but I'll give it a shot. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivy (Post 1020606)

Back:

End on RS
Does it mean should I stop after knitting the right side or after knitting the wrong side row? If I am doing stockinette stitch, should I stop after the knit row or the purl row?

End after knitting the right side (knit row).

Change to larger needles
Should I slip the stitches from one needle to another knitwise or purlwise?

Neither- just knit onto the larger needles. Put one of the larger ones in your right hand and knit with it till all the stitches are on it, then get the other of the larger needles and off you go. :)

dec 20(20-22-22-24) sts evenly spaced across 82(90-100-108-118) sts

That sounds right to me, but someone else might want to check it too...

Shaping armholes:

Bind off 6(6-7-8-9) sts at beg of the next 2 rows 70(78-86-92-100) sts

Why only beginning of rows? Won't this make the piece asymmetric?

It won't be asymmetric because you'll bind off on one side when you start one row, then when you turn the work around to do the next row and bind off at the beginning of that row, you'll be working the other side.

Dec 1 st each side every RS row 8(10-11-12-14) times 54(58-64-68-72) sts
I decrement only on RS and not WS?

Yup! :)

Trouble starts when I come to Front. I just don't understand what I am supposed to do.

Shape Armholes and V-Neck: Next Row (RS): Bind off 6(6-7-8-9) sts, work until there are 34(38-42-45-49) sts on RH needle, sl center 2 sts onto holder, join another ball of yarn and k to end. Work both sides at once.

As the pattern continues, it becomes all the more complicated. Is there a tutorial which I can use?

You're working from bottom to top, so when you get to the V-neck you put those two center stitches (bottom of the 'V') on a holder (safety pin or waste yarn or whatever) and then knit the right shoulder and left shoulder separately with separate balls of yarn.

suzeeq 12-10-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

dec 20(20-22-22-24) sts evenly spaced across – 82(90-100-108-118) sts

Which size are you making? Your method wont give you enough decreases for any of the sizes. You would need to do something like k3, k2tog for the smallest size, or k4, k2tog for the largest. The ones in between you can do k3, k2tog, with an occasional k4 between the decs. Take the number of sts you're starting with and divide by the number you need to decrease (20-22-22-24). Then subtract 2 and that will tell you how many to knit before the k2tog.

As for the front, trying to figure it out in your head will drive you crazy. It's a lot easier to see how it will all work out once you get to that point when you have the yarn and needles in your hands. Just take it all one step at a time and it won't be as hard as you think.

Ivy 12-11-2007 12:52 AM

Thanks a lot. Abbily, now I understand what the holder means and why I need it. Also, the asymmetric part - I am so stupid, I didn't realize it :)

suzeeq, I didn't pay enough attention. Of course, I have to do k3 k2tog! Thanks for the suggestion, I will start off and will cross the bridge when I come to it.

Debkcs 12-11-2007 03:42 AM

Ivy, as good as the computer is for getting your questions answered, Knitting Help is fabulous, a really good knitting book with pictures is something you should really have. I have three, and it's great to be able to pull one out and look up something, and follow along with the pictures. Not to say they'll tell you everything. I came to KH because I was really frustrated with something, and needed further assistance. These folks are great.

Ivy 12-11-2007 04:42 AM

Thanks for the tips, Debkcs, I will look out for knitting books when I visit my bookstore.

Debkcs 12-11-2007 04:45 AM

You're welcome, Ivy. BTW, you're not stupid, just new to this craft. Stupid is NOT asking questions and abandoning a project. Can't tell you how many skeins of yarn I have or have had because people don't have the patience to figure stuff out.

Abbily 12-11-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debkcs (Post 1021351)
You're welcome, Ivy. BTW, you're not stupid, just new to this craft. Stupid is NOT asking questions and abandoning a project. Can't tell you how many skeins of yarn I have or have had because people don't have the patience to figure stuff out.

Exactly! There are no stupid questions here! :)

Ivy 12-31-2007 04:40 AM

Update: I am almost done with the back and it looks like its going to fit my husband.

I have a question on armhole shaping. The pattern says Dec 1 st each side every RS row. This is what I do: Knit the first stitch and then do a k2tog. At the end of the row, when there are three stitches on the left needle, do k2tog and knit the last stitch. I do this because my k2tog stitch is loose and the yarn hangs a little bit and when I knit the next stitch, I can tighten this loose yarn.

Is it ok to do k2tog after the first and before the last stitch? The armhole looks ok, so I am assuming my method should not be a problem.

suzeeq 12-31-2007 11:39 AM

Yes, that's fine; many people dec 1 or 2 sts in from the edge. It doesn't have to be on the very end stitch, just near it.