KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How to find first stitch while working in the round? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72852)

ZoeS 01-01-2008 05:48 PM

How to find first stitch while working in the round?

I am knitting rounds using circular needles and my stitch marker fell off the needle without me noticing. Is there trick to finding the first stitch?

cristeen 01-01-2008 06:00 PM

If you're doing a pattern stitch, it's a bit easier, but if it's all st st, then just find the beginning of the CO edge and follow the stitch up. It's a little easier to do if you can stretch the work a little bit between your hands, and you have something in your hand to follow the line with.

NewYearsSwapScouter 01-01-2008 06:00 PM

If you haven't woven in the tail end yet, can you use that to guide you? I generally knit in the tail end with the working yarn for 3 stitches. So if I need to find the beginning of the round, I find the tail end and count 3 stitches in and follow that column up the rows. If you're following a pattern, find the stitch that is logically the beginning of the new pattern.

suzeeq 01-01-2008 06:01 PM

Find the tail of the cast on where you joined and go up that column of stitches.

ZoeS 01-01-2008 06:08 PM

Hmm, I found the CO tail (thanks - great idea!) and followed it up, and it made sense. I knitted to what I think is the last st of the round. However, when I compare the stitches, it seems like what I think is that st is higher than the what I think is the first st. But if it truly was the last st, wouldn't it be even with the first st?

I'm confused! :S

suzeeq 01-01-2008 06:13 PM

You may be one stitch to the left of the true beginning. And if it's just stockinette, it won't matter if you're off a stitch.

ZoeS 01-01-2008 06:15 PM

Yep, it's just stockinette. There is ribbing a few inches down but the rest of the piece is just stockinette.
So it's not terribly important, then? Great :) Thanks!

PCwombat 01-01-2008 06:34 PM

The reason the one stitch is higher is because when you knit in the round, you're knitting a spiral and each round lays on top of the other. Think of it like a coil of wire with the end not laying flat.

ZoeS 01-01-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCwombat (Post 1033806)
The reason the one stitch is higher is because when you knit in the round, you're knitting a spiral and each round lays on top of the other. Think of it like a coil of wire with the end not laying flat.

Yeah... but when I reach the end of the round the last st should be even with the first st of the next round. And I was able to find the last stitch.

Thanks for your advice!

suzeeq 01-01-2008 09:08 PM

No the last st will still be off a little from the 1st st, but you found it so it's all good.