KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crochet! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   I think I want to learn (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72945)

Shandeh 01-02-2008 09:51 PM

I think I want to learn

I'm considering joining you guys in the world of crochet. I used to do simple granny squares when I was younger, but had to stop, because my hand was aching from the hook and thick yarn.

So, I'm thinking that I would like to learn THREAD crochet. Maybe it won't hurt so bad? I already have some thin crochet hooks. And I have a BOATLOAD of yarn, so hopefully I have something I can use.

What can you guys recommend for a beginning thread crocheter?

cristeen 01-02-2008 11:03 PM

Pad your hook. Usually what is hurting is the tension that you have to hold it with. And the smaller the hook the more i hurts. There are hooks with large handles if you can find them. Or you can just put a couple pencil padders on it... with a tiny one, you may have to wrap the handle with masking tape first.

suzeeq 01-02-2008 11:12 PM

Possibly the tension, it depends where it hurts. When I had tendonitis the continual twisting motion of my hand aggravated it a lot. You'll just have to try it out and see how it goes.

Shandeh 01-02-2008 11:17 PM

Thank you both! Yes, my pain in the past was in my wrist from the constant twisting.

That's the reason I knit English style.

I'll try it out with some different hooks and pads, and let you know how it goes. :thumbsup:

The.Knitter 01-03-2008 12:33 AM

I was at Michaels tonight and they have the crochet hooks that have the great big soft handles. Perhaps that would help you??? Good luck!

lia_matos 01-03-2008 11:00 AM

Pratically everything you see done in yarn (except clothes or things that need a specific gauge), can be done in thread! I like doing crocheted toys (amigurumi) with thread when i don't want it to be big (like when it's done with ww yarn).

Also i really enjoy making fridgies, flowers to make insertions on clothes, edgings (i REALLY like doing edgings, even the more complicated ones)...

stacy.duval 01-03-2008 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hobby Lobby sells a set of crochet hook pads that will fit the standard and steel crochet hook sizes (not the excessively large ones) and they really help me. I find that the hooks slip around in my hand, so I hold really tight, which hurts after a while. These are textured, so the hook doesn't slip, so I don't have to hold so tight, especially on the little bitty hooks. They come in a set, to fit a variety of sizes, and I have them on all my hooks. Also, it takes practice... crochet uses different muscles than knitting, or spinning, or sewing, so you have to keep it up. Just do a little at a time, and eventually the soreness will go away!

bjc1050 01-06-2008 08:37 PM

I use pen/pencil grips on my aluminum hooks. I was lucky enough to get several Boye Comfort Grip Hooks (clear red plastic over the end of steel hooks) on Ebay. Been knitting lately since I finished the crochet slippers and bag and my forearm was bothering me from the twisting motion. It helps a lot if I alternate between crochet and knit projects.

When my wrist is really bothering me, I use an elastic wrist wrap/support. Have had wrist issues for a long time...sometimes so bad that I can't move my arm at all without pain. Then it's a couple weeks of no lifting, pushing, or pulling and treatment with ice packs and motrin.

aztec_judy 01-07-2008 02:47 AM

sounds as if ya'll are trying to choke the hook???
loosen up .. relax when doing it.
also depends on how you sit and how your holding the hook.
I flip flop back and forth between pecil style holding and across the plam holding ..
especially since I have carpal tunnel.
but learn to relx more .. and stop and flex your fingers ever so often too.
learn to sorta set up a rythem with the way you crochet.
for example : only crochet during commercials on tv.. watch the show. every 15 minutes .. stand up stretch .. reach for the ceiling..
walk around the coffee table a few times. But RELAX!!!

cgd 01-07-2008 06:59 PM

There is a line of crochet hooks called Clover Soft Touch, which you can get at/order from Joann, among other places. Those give my wrists a lot less trouble. Come over to the hooker side!