KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   I need stitch markers (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73038)

Ronda 01-04-2008 09:59 AM

I need stitch markers

I went to Michael's last night and couldn't find any. I need all sizes, but I specifically need some for larger needles as well. It seems I don't have any that fit a size 10 or larger needle. Is anyone here selling any? I want pretty ones! :)

dustinac 01-04-2008 10:04 AM

If no one here has any you might check etsy...they have some cute ones there... I usually buy white rings for .97 cents for the larger needles...hrmm I can't find them on joanns.com but found these that are close to mine just not Susan Bates :teehee:

DorothyDot 01-04-2008 10:40 AM

One thing you could maybe try is to take, say, 4" lengths of contrasting yarn and tie them into loops. Then use these loops as markers along your needle/s.

It's a good interim technique.

I've also used those plastic rings that you get with the blank DVDs that us computer-dvd-burners use. Those work pretty well and have a right good-sized hole.

Dot

Lisa R. 01-04-2008 10:47 AM

I bought some, I thought at Michael's, but it was probably JoAnn. Check them out. I got a packet of the little plastic split ring ones which included some big ones, for $3-4. They're not the beautiful beaded ones that people share about here,but they work! :)

You can find some here

And some jumbo ones here

Ronda 01-04-2008 10:53 AM

Thanks for the ideas.

I must have looked in the wrong place at Michael's last night, although I think I was all over the store! Now that I think about it, the metal rings I have been using came in a "learn to knit" kit by Susan Bates. I did see some of those last night, but I obviously don't want the whole kit!

Sanibelle 01-04-2008 11:23 AM

Another idea, if you are at Michael's is go to the bead section - I buy the jump rings to use at stitch markers. They come in all sizes and they are really cheap - I think I got 25 of them for $2.00 and they are all on sale at 30% off this week.

mighty girl 01-04-2008 01:11 PM

Some time ago on "Knitty Gritty" there was knit bit about making your own stitch markers, of course I deleted the show and can't find anything on the website, but they were very pretty! I liked the idea that you could make different stitch markers to then use in various ways, beg/end, middle, etc. They were used with the jump rings and then attaching beads to them, it looked do-able IMO.

If anyone has any help for making your own I would appreciate it.

lelvsdgs 01-04-2008 01:33 PM

I've used the larger size clasps from the beading department, both the lobster claw and c-ring ones. They slip over the needles and have a loop you can use to attach beads to. You can get those up to fairly big sizes. Also the white plastic carbona rings work well. I like these because I can get exactly what I want.

The.Knitter 01-04-2008 01:50 PM

Clover puts out a product called a Locking Stitch Marker (looks similar to a small plastic diaper pin). They come in packages of (small size) "20" or (jumbo size) "15". There are two different colours in each package. They are approximately $6 a package, regular price. They come in a little plastic envelope style case for storage. I got mine yesterday at Michaels, which was a good choice because they have a 30% sale on all yarn and yarn accessories this week. If you can't find them in the yarn section yourself, ask! I am using the small size on US 10.5 needles and they slide quite easily. I had the horrible plastic rings but they just did not slide well for me.

I can't find fancy stitch markers anywhere so I am using these, because a pattern I am working on calls for stitch markers.

Good luck!

Ronda 01-04-2008 02:02 PM

Somewhere on this site, Artlady posted a bunch of useful information on making your own.