KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Knit-Alongs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Any Sock KAL 2 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74646)

dustinac 01-27-2008 05:23 PM

Any Sock KAL 2

Welcome to Any Sock KAL 2!!

If you enjoy knitting socks or would like to learn how, then feel free to join in. We love to chat about socks, knitting, and everyday things. You will find tips here as we’ll as links for buying the gorgeous sock yarns that are out there now.

This KAL was started as Any Sock KAL, but due to the large number of posts in that thread, we have decided to start this one (and lock the other thread).

Please join us in knitting those addicting things we call socks…:happydance:

birdwomn 01-27-2008 05:29 PM

Is is easier to use magic loop or 2 circulars?

Ok, I know people will vary on this and some of you will like dpns best. But, I am trying to get an idea of what I want to try next. Also, what length needles for 2 circulars if doing 2 socks at the same time?

dustinac 01-27-2008 05:33 PM

Hi birdwomn, I've only tried 2 circs one time...and I had one that was 24" and one that was 16" (cause Knit picks doesn't have a 20")...that way it was easy for me tell needle 1 apart from needle 2...

I really like using magic loop and use a 24" cable for that...sometimes I still find myself drawn to the dpns :teehee:

fibrenut 01-27-2008 05:37 PM

:clink: WOOHOOOO!!!! I b here:thumbsup:

How kewl is that that we need to start a "chapter 2" of the sock knitting adventure we all so love!!!
Hiya bird,
Welcome to "chapter 2"
I would use any size that accomodates your stitches and still have some for your "goat udders" cat bordhi reference, you had to be there!!:noway:

G J 01-27-2008 06:17 PM

Hi BirdWmn,
I'm actually knitting 2 socks using Magic Loop on a 32" Options. It works, but longer might be easier. I prefer ML to 2 circs cuz with 2 circs I kept picking up the wrong needle to knit with. :wall: Can't do that with ML.:)

The.Knitter 01-27-2008 06:45 PM

Hi:

I am doing my very first ever pair of sox. For my first time trying knitting in the round, I am making a pair of tube sox. This will get me the practice I need for knitting in the round and then the next pair I knit will have a heel and gusset. I am almost finished the ribbing and will soon start into the stockinette stitch.

Thanks for letting me join!

jberry16 01-27-2008 06:47 PM

Welcome Bird! I have to say I like the ml method best w/a 32" options. My whole reason is so I dont loose needles-w/3 little ones & all. I tried 2 circs, didnt like...& occasionally I go back to my dpn.
Welcome The.Knitter!
Dustina: way to go with chapter 2!
Well I took a break from dh's socks and went to Target with Caitlin & used a giftcard from Christmas and got a Bumbo chair for her. I'm excited because its the first/only thing that's hers and not a hand me down from the other two and she seems to like it & I'm sure she'll like it with the more head controll she gets and once she can really play with toys she'll love to sit in it. Besides this spring/summer when we're outside planting stuff I'll want her to have something to sit in so she's not eating dirt. Though the Irish saying goes something like-you have to eat a lb of dirt before you die. Ok back to sock knitting. It's dark and cold and windy outside-good day to curl up on the couch/chair with a movie and kids and knit. happy knitting.

G J 01-27-2008 06:52 PM

Ooh, I just had to share a new podcast I found. It's grammar girl. (Okay, so I'm a geek.) It's not at all dry and boring like you might think. It's quick and dirty grammar/writing tips that can make me sound smarter! :whistle: It's worth trying, right!?!:aww:

1to1 01-27-2008 07:26 PM

Hi Socksters,

My tip for new sock knitters is to check out Silver's Sock Tutorial.

I have tried Magic Loop doing two socks at once using both 32" and 40" and two-24" circs. I like doing toe-up the best using the Figure 8 Cast On and EZ Sewn Bind Off. Notice I didn't mention Double Pointed Needles DPNs...never tried them except to make icords.

Please feel free to ask any questions and leave any comments. This is a great group and if we don't know the answer someone will try to find it for you.

Question of the Day: What is your favorite sock method?

Sock on, :waving:
Carla

Jackie Lim 01-27-2008 08:32 PM

wow, see how fast we r moving...