KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Twisted Ribbing a Pain in the @#%! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74717)

Arielluria 01-28-2008 06:31 PM

Twisted Ribbing a Pain in the @#%!

Well, excuse my French, but I'm soooooooo frustrated with the 2x2 twisted ribbing on the Oblique cardigan. I seem to be the only one with this much trouble with it. Am I doing something wrong?
:passedout:

I fell in love with this cardi the minute I saw it and it would be perfect for my body type. Any help would be appreciated!

dustinac 01-28-2008 07:12 PM

That would kill my wrists...I've done some sock patterns with the ktbl and after awhile it really bothers me :teehee: ...what part doesn't seem to be coming out right?

Arielluria 01-28-2008 07:39 PM

Well, it's:

Row 1 [WS]: [P1 tbl, k2, p1 tbl] to end.
Row 2 [RS]: [K1 tbl, p2, k1tbl] to end.
Repeat Rows 1-2 for Twisted 2x2 Rib.

and if you make a mistake it's impossible to get the stitches back on right!!!!!!!!!!!! So that just throws the whole thing off. If I just knew how the stitches should be on the needle I could fix it when I messed up!
:thud:

Ingrid 01-28-2008 07:51 PM

It wouldn't be the end of the world if you did regular ribbing.

If you want to stick with the twisted rib, and you need to put a stitch back on the needle, get it so it's 'normal,' then twist it--slip it off the needle knitwise and then pass it back onto the left.

Arielluria 01-28-2008 07:53 PM

Thanks. I think I'll do a swatch of the twisted and the regular. I don't know WHY I seem to be the only one with a problem with this. It does look nicer than the regular ribbing and seems to give it some extra hold. Since the twisted rib is also on the edge of the garment at the top, I think it's worth working on it!

Arielluria 01-28-2008 07:59 PM

What if you are on a twisted purl row???????:eyes:

Ingrid 01-28-2008 08:21 PM

Get the stitch 'normal' and then slide it off with your needle through the back loop and slip it back, I imagine.

Kibben 02-13-2008 09:28 PM

Question re selvedge sts

I love that pattern, too...The Directions NOTE "for all pieces, the selvedge sts....... will be worked in stockinette st throughout."

I would like to know if 2 extra stitches were added when you cast on in order to accommodate the selvedge???

Ingrid 02-13-2008 10:03 PM

It looks like it's included, since all rows begin and end with a single knit or purl.

fibrenut 02-13-2008 11:36 PM

K there is a very very simple way of twisting purl stitches and it doesn't involve needle contortions either.:thumbsup:
You know how you usually purl? Stick the needle through under the front leg, wrap the yarn OVER the needle and pull thru? Well the simplest and easiest way to twist a purl stitch is to stick the needle in as usual and then wrap the yarn UNDER the needle and pull thru. That twists the stitches. Look for the "Norwegian Purl" video that'll show you how to do it. And then on the "right side" don't unstwist the stitch. But truth be told, I would only worry about twisting the right side stitches anyway, but that's just me though. LOL:knitting: