KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How many hours a day do you get to knit? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75177)

Debkcs 02-05-2008 01:23 PM

How many hours a day do you get to knit?

When my hands work, I have the time to knit two to three hours a day. How do you carve out time during your day? Those of you who work, have young families, and manage to knit a lot are just amazing.

suzeeq 02-05-2008 01:29 PM

About 2-3 unless we're doing marathon catch-up-on-tv-shows- we-missed-on-dvd-watching, then it's a few more. Weekends, it's more like 5 hours. I work, but don't have younguns anymore.

KnittinMitchie 02-05-2008 01:31 PM

I have a 2.5yr old so I can knit while she sits and plays with her toys or reads her books. She still does quiet time in the afternoons for a few hours. I say I average 3-4 hrs a day. I can't handle knitting for long periods of time or if I do knit for a long period I tend to switch my projects around.

sakura-panda 02-05-2008 01:32 PM

I've recently started taking my showers at night instead of in the morning, and I like to let my hair dry for a bit before I go to bed. For the last couple of weeks I've taken to knitting or scrapbooking during that hour. :knitting:

Before that, I used to knit in the car when I was waiting for DH. If we happened to be out and about during the kids' naptime, if they were sleeping in the car, then I could knit while DH would run into the store for whatever it was we were there to get. When the baby was younger, I spent a lot of time knitting in the car, but now that she is older, not so much. :cry:

Other than that, all of my knitting is in public while waiting for one thing or another. I just have too many other things to do at home, including an afghan that I am crocheting but is too big to take around with me.

I've read some posts where people are self-conscious about knitting where other people could watch them, but between reading lots of Agatha Christie/Miss Marple stories when I was a kid and the crocheting I used to do whenever I was at some get-together with the in-laws, it doesn't bother me to have people watch what I'm doing, even when I frog!

To answer the original question :blush:, about an hour a day. :)

Darcia 02-05-2008 01:34 PM

If I could, I would knitt all day long. But I knit about 1-2hours each evening while my dh watches his hockey.:knitting:

figaro 02-05-2008 01:41 PM

I try to knit at night after the kids have gone to bed and depending on when I go to bed, maybe 1-3 hours a night. That is not uninteruppted knitting though, getting up to herd the kids back into bed or convincing the 2 yo that she needs to go to sleep tends to cut back on my time. I do get to knit more on the weekends unless we go somewhere, I get dizzy knitting in the car. I do knit waiting for the kids to go to/get out of school, that is about 12-20 each morning and afternoon.

I guess I knit more than I thought:knitting:! I just wish I knit faster and made less mistakes and had more fo's :teehee:!

Robinknits 02-05-2008 02:10 PM

I knit at least 1-2 hours a day while watching tv in the evening. I homeschool my kids so I sometimes get some knitting in while watching them do their school work. Twice a week they have band and I get in a couple of hours while waiting for them (One is in beginning and one in advanced band, so we are there for a while.) I'm amazed by friends (who knit) who say they don't have time to knit. You find time for the things you love to do!

erikalee 02-05-2008 02:20 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure really. I knit off and on all day, I guess. Sitting in front of the TV, no matter what time it is, or what's on, I'm knitting. And I take my knitting with me everywhere if it's a small enough project (I've really only done small ones so far).

I do have 2 young kids, one 7yo daughter and one 3yo son. They occupy themselves and each other a lot, though.

I guess if you break it down, it's anywhere from 0-5 hours a day.

scout52 02-05-2008 02:27 PM

It depends on what time I get home from work. i eat dinner. play a little with my cats and then i start knitting while watching tv and talking to my bf until i go to bed. so if i get home between 2-4 hrs a day. on the weekends i get to knit more if we aren't doing anything.

knitpurlgurl 02-05-2008 02:54 PM

Median knitting time 0.5 hrs/day. Some days it's 0 hrs and others 1-2 hrs. It just depends.