KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   So maybe this is a silly question... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75688)

drummerboi202 02-14-2008 04:31 PM

So maybe this is a silly question...

...especially since I might already know the answer. I'm knitting a pair of modified gloves for my favorite guy, and I want to get the best yarn possible. It has to be durable, because hes rough with his hands, and it has to be machine washable, because I know he wont take the time to handwash them, and I also want it to be soft. They sound like miracle gloves to me, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Do any of you know of any wonderfully awesome yarn like this, or should I just stick with some Simply Soft?

Crycket 02-14-2008 04:36 PM

I guess the first question would be what size of yarn are you seeking...

I love to do gloves in a sock yarn, and getting a superwash wool does take some abuse.

drummerboi202 02-14-2008 04:43 PM

Im not sure what size yarn I want to use. Im pretty much winging it on these gloves. Hes asked for a pair of gloves with only his thumb, index, and middle fingers closed up like a glove, and the rest fingerless. Im pretty sure I wont find a pattern for that, so I was just planning on combining a couple patterns together. So I guess anything bigger than fingering, but smaller than bulky.

McKnitty 02-14-2008 04:48 PM

Is wool okay? I have problems with most wools, but not with 100% superwash merino wool (so soft too).

drummerboi202 02-14-2008 04:54 PM

Wool is fine. He said hes no allergic to any animal fibers, and I've recently discovered that I can knit with the wool, but not wear it. So I just need to get a superwash wool? It wont felt if he throws it in the washer?

McKnitty 02-14-2008 05:10 PM

Superwash wool isn't supposed to felt, but it must say 'superwash' on the label. I'm still careful though and turn the item inside out, put in a mesh laundry bag, and wash on gentle cycle with cold water, and hang to dry.

Some wools are okay for handwashing, but again check the label. Usually there is a little hand symbol on the label to let you know to hand wash it.

If you ever have a felting project, the wool must NOT be superwash or it won't felt!

drummerboi202 02-14-2008 05:18 PM

Cool! He washes all his garments with cold water anyway, hes terrified of shrinking. So I guess I'll start searching for manly colored superwash wool. Is there a particular brand that is exceptional?

Samsam 02-14-2008 05:40 PM

Moda dea makes a washable wool. I have a pair of mitts made from it, it does wash well. It gets softer.
p.s. I got your letter today =)

drummerboi202 02-14-2008 06:13 PM

Awesome! I think thats what I might use. And awesome you got my letter, too. I guess that means I should post those pictures of my hat, eh? lol

boo1 02-14-2008 09:37 PM

Cascade makes a good superwash wool..>>>

with lots of color choices.

:)