KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   The Other Boleyn Girl (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75883)

KnitClickChick 02-18-2008 08:27 AM

The Other Boleyn Girl

Has anyone else read this book or plan on seeing the movie that opens this Friday? I have read the book (as well as all the others by Philippa Gregory) and am so excited to see this movie I can't stand it!! Also I love Natalie Portman - I watched a little clip of the movie, and it seems like she will be a great Anne. Oh, I can't wait for Friday!! :woohoo:

knitgal 02-18-2008 09:45 AM

I haven't read the book yet, but I'm dying to! I really wanted to read it before the movie came out, but that just wasn't possible with all the reading I had for class. I absolutely LOVE movies like this and I can't wait to see it either. I think the casting looks good and that the costumes look great.

sue in canada 02-18-2008 11:17 AM

I loved the book and will be going to see the movie.
Knitgal. I think it will almost be better to see the movie first. There is so much detail in the book, I can't imagine how everything will be portrayed in the movie. I am really looking forward to it though.
Right now I am reading The Virgin's Lover and have read The Boleyn Inheritance and The Constant Princess but The Other Boleyn Girl is definitely my favourite.

Miss Moosey 02-18-2008 02:05 PM

For some reason, I really don't like Philippa Gregory's books. I should, because I love reading about the historical periods she writes about, but I just can't get into them. I might see the movie, though, because my mom loved the books.

One thing that's bothering me from the previews: couldn't they have gotten a red-haired actor to play Henry VIII?

If you liked her books, you might like the book The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir. It is non-fiction but it is so well done it feels like reading a good novel!

Rebecca

Hildegard_von_Knittin 02-18-2008 02:52 PM

i LOOOOOOOVE PG's books, but I had no idea there was a movie!!!! :cheering: I hope they follow suit with the rest of the books in that cycle.

AnnArrogance 02-18-2008 02:58 PM

I read The Other Boleyn Girl and LOVED it! I've read all of her "Tudor" books--The Constant Princess, The Virgin's Lover, The Boleyn Inheritance, and The Queen's Fool, and it's easily my favorite. Although I loved The Constant Princess, too. I can't WAIT to see the movie, even though I know there's no way it'll be as good, and from the commercials I can already tell that they're going to be taking some liberties with the story.

I tried reading a couple of Philippa Gregory's other, non-Tudor books, though, and I HATED them. The two I read were more like really crappy, somewhat disturbing romance novels. Blech. I think I'll just stick to her Tudor titles. She seems to be able to balance the history/romance/intrigue elements well in those.

BethLaf 02-18-2008 04:59 PM

it looks to be a great period piece movie, the dh wants to see it too, so thats a good thing too :D

Lindsey H 02-18-2008 05:54 PM

I read all of PG's Tudor books, except for the Constant Princess, last summer. I love them all. I love big books, especially historical fiction. I had no idea they were making a movie. After reading them it was really fun explaining to dh some of the the characters in the movie Elizabeth. He is usually the one explaining historical events to me. BTW Elizabeth and Elizabeth the Golden Age (I think those are the correct titles) are very good.

Hildegard_von_Knittin 02-19-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnArrogance (Post 1065195)
I tried reading a couple of Philippa Gregory's other, non-Tudor books, though, and I HATED them. The two I read were more like really crappy, somewhat disturbing romance novels

Were these the Wideacre stories?? They were disturbing; I am forcing my way through the last one just to finish the series.

saracidaltendencies 02-20-2008 02:00 AM

I haven't heard of this one! Sounds interesting though, I may have to read the book (er..once I finish the 2 I have going now...lol).

On another note, however, anyone who likes the historical books should read Alison Weir's "Innocent Traitor" the story of the Lady Jane Grey. It's a wonderful book that is more fact than fiction despite it being labeled a fiction book.