KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Different styles/methods of knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76243)

lmsloman 02-24-2008 02:23 PM

Different styles/methods of knitting

Wow, today was my first post and I'm already addicted! I decided to pace myself today :)

I was just curious to learn what style/method of knitting you all prefer (I'm continental, myself)......and if you know of, or are familar with any other methods that might be fun to learn. I saw a video last night of the Yarn Harlot demonstrating the "Irish Cottage" method - I must say, my head is still spinning!!! She goes SOOO fast! I'd LOVE to learn to knit that fast. As a newbie knitter, I require Instant gratification, so the sooner I finish something, the better! I'd love to hear any tips or tricks to make me the speediest/most efficent knitter that I can be!

campbellmom549 02-24-2008 02:36 PM

I voted other because I knit both ways for now. I learned English, but I started a scarf (here) that was in seed stitch and English drove me nuts, so I learned Continental. But I'm still not proficient enough at it. I'm knitting a sweater with Patons Divine yarn and I have to knit it English or it gets too tight. I think it's really all about finding the way that's most comfortable to you and that allows you to just knit without thinking about it.

boo1 02-24-2008 02:49 PM

I just learned Continental, but not using it yet because >>

I haven't practiced enough to do it smoothly and with even tension and I really need to get cracking on a vest I'm making.

I'll take a break at some point and just try to knit something using the Continental method.

:)

:knitting:

knittingymnast 02-24-2008 02:52 PM

I knit English, although I can knit Continental. I prefer Continental, but I teach/taught so many people I just knit English now. I am trying to learn Cont. again, but its not going too well....

Newbie2Knitting 02-24-2008 03:11 PM

When I learned to knit, I learned English. However, ribbing for a long-ish piece drove me nuts so I learned continental. I'm fairly comfortable w/both methods now. I'm making my sons sweaters for next year soley using Continental. That being said, I'm knitting some convertable mittens on 4 dpn's using English. I'm not *that* comfy with Continental just yet. ;)

gingerbread 02-24-2008 03:31 PM

I knit mostly English that is the way I was taught. I do like to knit Continental often to try to get my speed up on it. I love the Continental but I really screw up in a project. So it is going to be English for awhile.:waving:

rachejm 02-24-2008 03:40 PM

I learnt English style so that is what I do, have thought about learning continental but haven't had the patience to sit down and give it a go yet.

booskibabe 02-25-2008 03:28 PM

I voted continental, but I knit a cross between Irish Cottage and Continental. I actually didn't realize I did this until today when I saw the video of the Yarn Harlot knitting that way. I want to learn how to knit straight continental, I think it would be faster than what I do now.

lelvsdgs 02-25-2008 03:43 PM

I learned English and have tried Continental but found it kills my hands so I stick with English (although, when I learned, they called it American... go figure). My philosophy is to use whatever method works best for you as long as you get to do this:
:knitting:

Jax3303 02-25-2008 04:07 PM

Both english and continental. I use whichever strikes me whenever I pick up a WIP.