Forum Forum (
-   How-to Questions (
-   -   How do I "K1. Wl.fwd. K1. Wl.fwd. K1."? (

Skater 02-24-2008 10:59 PM

How do I "K1. Wl.fwd. K1. Wl.fwd. K1."?
I thought before I got to this row that I'd know what to do, but I can't wrap my head around it.
The whole set of repeated stitches (exactly as written) is "P2. K1. Wl.fwd. K1. Wl.fwd. K1. P2. K2. K2tog. K2".
What does "K1. Wl.fwd. K1. Wl.fwd. K1." mean exactly?

fibrenut 02-24-2008 11:11 PM

OK, with any weird abbreviations there should be a key at the top or the bottom of the pattern. If you have a link to the pattern that would be of great help hun.:thumbsup:

Skater 02-24-2008 11:23 PM

I wish I could provide a link, but it's from an old pattern (Beehive booklet), so it's hard copy only. I don't know if it's British or what, and all it says about Wl.fwd is that it means "wool forward." I don't know how to do a k1 after bringing the yarn forward. Just don't get it.

fibrenut 02-24-2008 11:25 PM

O ok, it's a yarn over hun.

Skater 02-24-2008 11:34 PM

It is? The same pattern has w.o.n. and w.r.n., which I took to be yarnovers. So do all three instructions mean yarnovers?

fibrenut 02-24-2008 11:57 PM

Well, dang, ya got me there hun!! I've not heard of those before. Hmmm
I do know that this lady should be able to help you with those mysterious abbreviations. Just go here and then to the "get in touch" and shoot off an email to her. Hopefully she'll be able to tell you what the heck those mean.

Skater 02-25-2008 12:02 AM

Thanks! I think I'll try that. By the way, I did try doing a yarnover where it says Wl.fwd, and did the rest of the stitches as written, and they do seem to fit the pattern, but I guess the proof of the pudding will be the next row. In the meantime, though, I'll follow your advice!

suzeeq 02-25-2008 12:31 AM

Yes all three of those terms mean YO in British... :) They're different because the wlfwd (or yfwd) is done between 2 knit sts. The others are probably done between a knit and purl and/or purl and knit. They describe the action you do to the yarn - over the needle or wrap round the needle.

Skater 02-25-2008 12:45 AM

Wow, so all three instructions do mean basically the same thing. Thanks so much. I did send an email off to the Vintage Purls lady, but she will probably tell me the same thing as you, Suzee.
I'm so glad that most of the patterns I've dealt with so far have been much simpler to follow, but now I will be better prepared if I do run across these terms again.

Skater 02-26-2008 10:41 AM

Well, Morag at Vintage Purls was very nice and replied to my email, and yes, you are both right.
She sent me a link of these handy abbreviations on her website:
I like a lot of the patterns she has there, too. I've seen some already on Ravelry.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 PM.