KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Yet another "Knit the knits & purl the purls" question... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76290)

Simply_Renee 02-25-2008 04:43 PM

Yet another "Knit the knits & purl the purls" question...

cloud9 I finished my first ever project over the weekend (a scarf, of course) and have moved onto a prayer shawl. The pattern is K3, P3, then on all subsequent rows to "knit the knits & purl the purls".

I just don't get it. (Edited to add this is an example- I know I k3 p3 across the whole row) So if you knit 3, then turn it- those knit stitches now look like purls, right? So do I knit them because on the reverse side I knitted them, or do I purl them because they look like they are purl stitches when I look at them? Or am I totally not making sense here.

At least it's Homespun- so it's not like mistakes are going to be that evident and it's hard to see the stitch pattern anyway.

Thanks in advance. At least now I know I don't have to unravel skeins to roll into balls before I start. :aww:

tarrentella 02-25-2008 05:03 PM

This sounds like it is for ribbing.
you work each stitch as it looks when you get to it. so if it looks like a knit (a v shape) you knit it and if it looks like a purl (the bump) you purl it.
sounds like you already have a good handle on what the stitches look like :)

Simply_Renee 02-25-2008 05:06 PM

I thought it should look like ribbing too- but the instructions say it should NOT look like ribbing. That is why I am confused.

fibrenut 02-25-2008 05:24 PM

It's always knit the k's and purl the p's AS they face you, when a pattern tells you to k the k's and p the p's. So you turn the piece and you now see the backsides of the previous row. So now forget what you did on the previous row and just do them as they are presented to you.

Simply_Renee 02-25-2008 05:26 PM

Thank you both- that makes sense. I thought it would be hard to remember what stitches you did on the last row. That's why I'm working a pattern that is soooo easy to start with.

suzeeq 02-25-2008 11:03 PM

It may not end up ribbing... after a few rows of k3,p3 and k ks, and p ps, you may reverse to p3, k3, (and p ps, k the ks) for a basketweave type pattern.

ArtLady1981 02-26-2008 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fibrenut (Post 1070222)
It's always knit the k's and purl the p's AS they face you, when a pattern tells you to k the k's and p the p's. So you turn the piece and you now see the backsides of the previous row. So now forget what you did on the previous row and just do them as they are presented to you.

I couldn't have said it better, fibrenut! Good explanation!!! :thumbsup:

Simply_Renee 02-26-2008 11:27 AM

Note to self- read the pattern!

It was purl the knits and knit the purls. a HA! It looks like lines of texture instead of ribbing- kind of hard to tell with the HDY. (Homespun Devil Yarn) HA!

campbellmom549 02-26-2008 11:30 AM

Trinity stitch! I thought it sounded similar to the prayer shawl I'm working on when you said it shouldn't look like ribbing.

Simply_Renee 02-26-2008 11:45 AM

So we're both working on one- cool! I am glad I have the stitch down now- I don't feel right cussing while making a "prayer" shawl...:wink: