KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Shaping armholes (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76306)

gamerchik 02-25-2008 08:31 PM

Shaping armholes

Okay...time to shape the armholes for the sweater I'm making. I have 121 stitches to start.

Here's what the directions say:
BO 6 sts at beg of next 2 rows. Dec 1 st each side of next row; then every other row 5 times total -- 99 sts.

Here's my interpretation:
Row 1: BO 6 sts, continue in K5, P1 ribbing to match the rest of the pattern. (115 sts).
Row 2: BO 6 sts, continue in K5, P1 ribbing to match the rest of the pattern. (109 sts).
Row 3: Decrease 1 stitch at beginning and end of row. (107 sts).
Row 4: Work even.
Row 5: Decrease 1 stitch at beginning and end of row. (105 sts).
Row 6: Work even.
Row 7: Decrease 1 stitch at beginning and end of row. (103 sts).
Row 8: Work even.
Row 9: Decrease 1 stitch at beginning and end of row. (101sts).
Row 10: Work even.
Row 11: Decrease 1 stitch at beginning and end of row. (99sts).
Row 12: Work even.

Is that correct? Also, what kind of decrease am I supposed to use? K2tog?

Thanks in advance for your help!

bethany 02-25-2008 08:58 PM

that's how I am reading it too! K2tog I believe as well.

cam90066 02-25-2008 10:07 PM

The K2tog tends to lean to the right. That will follow the angle of the left armhole but not the one on the right. I'd suggest using the SSK on the right side.

There are samples of the incs/decs via the links at the top.

cam

Doublereeder2 02-25-2008 10:24 PM

Excellent interpretation! I agree - use SSK on the right and K2TOG on the left. You might also consider knitting 2 stitches on each end before and after the decreases to make your finishing nicer. Can't wait to see your garment :-)

gamerchik 02-25-2008 10:32 PM

Okay...when you say SSK on the right side and K2tog on the left...does that mean no matter if it's RS or WS? I just would start with SSK when knitting across the row, and do K2tog when I get to the other side?

Also, will knitting two stitches to the right and left of each decrease mess up the K5, P1 ribbing pattern? This is more complicated than I thought!

Thanks so much to everyone for your help!

cam90066 02-25-2008 10:37 PM

I'd do your decs 2 sts in from the edge. Work 2 sts (in patt), then work the dec over whatever the next 2 sts are....could be 2 Ks, K and P, etc. Same goes for the other edge...work til there are 4 sts remaining, do the dec and then you'll have the 2 (in patt) to the edge.

*If* you're working decs on the WS you'd need to work whatever decs are applicable to how the sts show. The back of 2 Ks is 2 Ps so you'd have to work a SSP, etc. But being the patt indicates eor (every other row) all will be done on the same side.

cam

gamerchik 02-25-2008 10:42 PM

Okay, that makes sense about them all being on the same side. But I'm still wondering...is the "right" side (for the SSK) the side where I start knitting across the row, and the "left" side (for the K2tog) when I get to the other end?

Abbily 02-25-2008 10:50 PM

Picture it this way- when you're looking at the RS of your knitting, a k2tog will lean to your right and SSK will lean to your left.

cam90066 02-26-2008 03:09 AM

Your RS is the odd rows (3, 5, 7 etc) in the patt inst you orig posted. Work your SSK and K2tog on those rows.

cam

ArtLady1981 02-26-2008 03:24 AM

I still write out my decrease instructions EXACTLY like you posted, gamerchik! Good woman!

I also agree with the others: Right side facing...I do a K2T at the beginning of the row...knit across the row as per pattern...then do the SSK at the end of the row.

I always knit one stitch first, then K2T...knit across the row as per pattern...til the last 3 stitches>SSK>K1.

The plain knit stitches at each end are edge stitches, and will ultimately be hidden inside the seam.

Making your decreases "one stitch in from each edge" creates a nice edge for later seaming.