KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Jacket pattern (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76343)

2poochmama 02-26-2008 01:15 PM

Jacket pattern

First of all, here is the pattern: (I am doing the largest size)
BACK
With smaller needles, cast on 79 (95, 107) sts.
Work in k1, p1 Rib for 4 in. [10 cm]. Change to larger needles. K 1 row, p 1 row. Continue in St st, dec 1 st each edge on next row – 77 (93, 105) sts. Work in St st until piece measures 21 in. [53.5 cm] from beg, end with a WS row.

Armhole Shaping
Dec 1 st each side on next row, then every 6th row 6 (7, 8) times – 63 (77, 87) sts. Bind off.

LEFT FRONT (Button Side)
With smaller needles, cast on 47 (57, 67) sts.
Work in k1, p1 Rib for 4 in. [10 cm]. Change to larger needles.
Row 1 (RS): Knit.
Row 2 (WS): Sl first st holding yarn in front, p 5, sl next st holding yarn in front, p across row.
Dec 1 st at beg of next RS row for side edge -- 46 (56, 66) sts.
Repeat Rows 1 and 2, slipping first and 7th st on WS rows to create faux placket. Work until piece measures same length as Back to beg of armhole shaping.

Armhole Shaping
Continue as established, dec 1 st at beg of RS row every 6th row 7 (8, 9) times – 39 (48, 57) sts. Bind off. Mark for 5 buttons evenly spaced on the front placket, with first button just above Rib and last button 5 in. [12.5 cm] below bound-off edge.

RIGHT FRONT (Buttonhole Side)
Cast on and work in rib as for Left Front. Change to larger needles.
Row 1 (RS): Sl first st holding yarn in back, k 5, sl next st holding yarn in back, k across row.
Row 2 (WS): Purl.
Row 3: Sl first st holding yarn in back, k 2, (yo, k2tog for buttonhole), k 2, sl next st holding yarn in back, k across row to last 2 sts, k2tog.
Continue to work as for Left Front, reversing shaping and placket placement and working buttonholes (yo, k2tog) to correspond to button placement on Left Front.

I had the left front completed until I realized that it was LONGER by about 4 inches from the BACK. So, in looking back at what I could have done wrong, I think I misunderstood the pattern as usual. If you look at the instructions for the Left Front you will see that you have to create a placket on the WS of the pattern (by skipping the 7th stitch) but then it says:
"Dec 1 st at beg of next RS row for side edge -- 46 (56, 66)"
1) Does this mean to DEC just this 1 row or all RS rows from there on? I have done 8 rows 4 of which are decreased on that 1st stitch on the RS and it is SHARPLY decreasing so I think this is incorrect. It says to repeat rows 1 and 2 but if you look at row 2 it is confusing whether or not the 2nd line is also repeated (quoted above).

2) Regarding the armhole shaping it says to decrease 1 stitch beg of RS row every 6th row 9 times (I am doing the X-lg size). Therefore, does this mean to end the initial 21 inches of the left front with a RS row and then began with an WS row and on the 6th row start the 1st-stitch decrease and then work 5 rows and on the 6th row repeat the decrease and then continue this way until i have done (6 x 9) 54 rows to end and bind off??? Sorry this was a long question!
3) The placket is odd looking to me. I've never seen this on a jacket. Right where the chain is on the front the placket wants to 'naturally' fold. Is this supposed to be folded?
Can someone PLEASE help me. I love this jacket and I am determined to do it right! :knitting:

Carol

ArtLady1981 02-26-2008 03:57 PM

Armhole Shaping for the BACK:
Dec 1 st each side on next row, then every 6th row 6 (7, 8) times – 63 (77, 87) sts.

Hi Carol!

As an example...let's say you just finished Row 0...maybe on that Row 0 you were instructed to Bind off 5 at the beginning of that row.

So, now let's address the instructions (in red) above:
Here is what you will be doing about them:

Row 1: Dec 1 st at each side edge
Rows 7, 13, 19, 25, 31, 37, 43, 49: Dec 1 st at each side edge

All other rows inbetween the decrease rows are pattern as usual, with no decreasing.

I have knit hundreds of pullovers and cardigans. I still write out my pattern directions, such as I did for you above. I also circle each decrease row# after I have done it, to keep track of where I'm at.
Sometimes it helps to put a stitch marker XX stitches in from each end, to keep track of the declining number of stitches. You will be most likely to forget the decrease at the end of a row. By placing stitch markers to separate the stitches that will be decreased from the main body of stitches, you can easily ascertain if you missed a decrease.

GUIDELINES for pattern reading:
1) When instructions say "
dec 1 st each edge on next row"...it means THE NEXT row. That's it.

2) Some armhole shaping has to be done from the RS facing you.
Some armhole shaping for the other side has to be done with the
WS facing you. (as in the case of a Left Front and a Right Front)

That's what patterns mean when they 'shorthand' the pattern for the Right Side Armhole Shaping. Example: do armhole shaping as for the Left Front, reversing the shaping.

Other KH knitters will help us and expand on my post, which is by no means as extensive as it could be.