KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   How many groups are you in and why? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76424)

figaro 02-28-2008 09:39 AM

How many groups are you in and why?

I am amazed at the amount of groups that people are in, I just saw one lady's profile and it said she was in 114 groups! I am in 10 and that is plenty for me, I even feel a little guilty cause I do not post in all of them all the time.

I was wondering how many groups people are in from here and why. The reason I am wondering why is I am not sure if part of it is kinda a popularity thing or if there is some real interest in a particular group? I think I try to be a little picky in the groups I am in, there are a lot out there that I could be in but I am not sure if I would actually bring anything useful to the group so I just kinda end up being a "group/forum" watcher.

I hope I am not insulting to anyone as that is not my intention, just curious is all!

I'm sorry! Yes, I am talking about Raverly groups!

Pagan Princess 02-28-2008 09:51 AM

I'm in two knitting groups. I own my own messageboard for my friend Lorenzo (in my profile). I belong to a couple of Pagan groups too. Ummmm that's about it lol!

HamaLee 02-28-2008 10:21 AM

Are you talking about Ravelry groups?

I'm in a bunch and I'll probably only add to that. I join them for two reasons:

1.) It's a local group with meet-ups and the board provide location info, inside dish on LYS sales, I might be able to meet actual IRL friends from it, etc.

I keep a casual eye on the boards for these groups to catch the info.

2.) I peruse somebody's profile, see a really silly group or something I'm a fan of and go "Bwah!" and immediately join said group. :teehee: Once I've done that, generally speaking, that's the only attention paid to it. I don't share projects, don't keep track of the boards, etc. I guess it's sort of like collecting online tchochkes.

Embarrassingly enough, the majority of my groups fall into category 2. :mrgreen:

ETA--I do pretty much the same thing with my Facebook groups addiction...

sakura-panda 02-28-2008 10:49 AM

What kind of group? Ravelry? Yahoo? Something else?

For Ravelry, I think I'm in one group -- the KH one. I haven't spent a lot of time over there and I haven't explored everything they have to offer.

Knitting is kind of a second hobby for me and I spend my online time elsewhere. KH is my primary knitting social group (here, not on Ravelry) and I mainly use Ravelry for it's database. :thumbsup:

I'm not in any Yahoo groups anymore, although I do stumble across ones now and then. The couple I had joined in the past weren't very useful to me and now I just stay out of them.

Sunshine's Mom 02-28-2008 10:53 AM

I'm in one group on Ravelry - Survivor 16 Micronesia. I don't spend a lot of time on Ravelry. I really prefer KH forum. But, it's nice to discuss Survivor with other fans who I know are watching AND knitting - like me.

Just joined the KH group! Thanks to all for pointing it out. Never would have thought to look for it on my own.

KnitWit1987 02-28-2008 10:59 AM

On ravelry I am in 4 groups, KH, Knitty Gritty, gone to small dogs, and stitch and scrabble. I feel guilty to say I hardly ever posted on any of them, I just think they make it easier to meet other knitters with your same interests, and for someone to see things your interested in when they view your profile.

stitchwitch 02-28-2008 11:17 AM

I'm on one, the KH one. I think I've posted like two things on it. I'm quite the social butterfly as you can see. :roflhard:

saracidaltendencies 02-28-2008 11:52 AM

I'm in a few groups...I joined them because they're either topics I'm really interested in, or, like a local thing...I like to tell myself I'll keep up with the group, but, I usually just end up becoming a lurker and making the random post every once in a while...lol...

Plantgoddess+ 02-28-2008 12:10 PM

I'm not sure it's either 5 or 6. I don't go there much and tend to only visit 1 of the group when I do go. The others don't seem to offer much I'm interested in and I just haven't dropped them much. I have enough trouble keeping up with posts here. This is my main stop after reading Yahoo news.

Hildegard_von_Knittin 02-28-2008 12:23 PM

I'm in 3 or 4 groups over there. I personally like the forums here much better :thumbsup: