KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Wrap and Turn or Short Row (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77402)

friedchickenonmyknitten 03-17-2008 01:08 PM

Wrap and Turn or Short Row

I bet for seasoned knitters this will be an easy one so here it goes. I have started the Fall Rainbow sweater from mag knits and I am stuck on the wrap and turn or short row. I believe I understand the process but where I'm confused is what to do after the wrap and turn. Am I continuing to the end of that row by just knitting it or purling it depending. After I have turned the yarn back to the side I started on. Whats next? The instructions don't say so I guess its one of those things I am expected to know.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Abbily 03-17-2008 01:11 PM

There's a short row with wraps video here on this site that might help answer your questions- scroll down and you'll find it.

Jan in CA 03-17-2008 01:11 PM

The TURN of W&T means turn and go back the other way. Your instructions should tell you what to do next and how often to W&T.

friedchickenonmyknitten 03-17-2008 05:22 PM

Hi Jan, thanks for your input, but I don't understand the pattern. I am still fairly unseasoned as that is the reason for the question. I am knitting the fall rainbow coat and it does say...
Row 1: K16, m1, sl marker, k1, m1, k11, w&t.
Row 2: P25, w&t.
Row 3: K11, m1, sl marker, k1, m1, k9, w&t.
Row 4: P21, w&t.
Row 5: K10, m1, sl marker, k1, m1, k7, w&t.
Row 6: P17, w&t.
Row 7: K8, m1, sl marker, k1, m1, k5, w&t.
Row 8: P13, w&t.
Row 9: K6, m1, sl marker, k1, m1, k3, w&t.
Row 10: P9, w&t.
Row 11: K4, m1, sl marker, k1, m1, k1, w&t.
Row 12: P5, w&t.
Row 13: K2, m1, sl marker, k1, m1, k22, picking up and knitting all wraps together with the wrapped sts.
Row 14: P all sts, picking up and knitting all wraps together with the wrapped sts.

The question is for example on row 1 after I have completed the instructions for w&t what is next. After the w&t is completed there are still stitches left on the needle. Do I continue to the end either knitting or purling or do I start with row 2 somehow even though I dont have an empty needle. Also, I did watch the video, but I am still confused.

Spokaloo 03-17-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friedchickenonmyknitten (Post 1082070)
After the w&t is completed there are still stitches left on the needle.

Leaving unworked stitches on the left needle is where the term "short row" comes from. You are not working to the end of the row. Instead, you are working "short."

So follow the instructions and do your W&T, then simply turn your work by switching the left needle (with the unworked stitches) to your right hand and the right needle to your left. Now start working according to your directions as if you had just set your work down in the middle of a row and were just picking it up again.

It may seem a little awkward, but give it a try and I think you'll get the hang of it.

friedchickenonmyknitten 03-17-2008 07:02 PM

Spokaloo,
Sounds like you answered my question pretty effortlessly which means you are probably a genius-or a really good knitter.
I'll give it a shot and I think it'll work out.

Thanks for taking the time to help!!!

Jan in CA 03-18-2008 12:56 PM

I'm sorry I misunderstood. Glad you got it figured out! :thumbsup:

Spokaloo 03-18-2008 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by friedchickenonmyknitten (Post 1082110)
Spokaloo,
Sounds like you answered my question pretty effortlessly which means you are probably a genius-or a really good knitter.

Hoo boy! Have I got YOU fooled! But thanks for the vote of confidence!

cloud9