KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The great American afghan (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77442)

Karina 03-18-2008 10:12 AM

The great American afghan

Could somebody tell me what the difference is between The Great American Afghan, The Great North American Afghan and The Great American Aran Afghan.

Amazon sell them all and not sure if they all feature the same blocks or if it is worth getting all three. Thanks

Silver 03-18-2008 10:54 AM

All three are entirely different. Each one started as a contest (held at different times) in Knitter's magazine where knitters from across the country designed and submitted their square. The best of the best won prizes and the top 24 squares from each contest were published in the magazine. Eventually the patterns were published in the 3 different books.

I'll just say that the Great American Aran Afghan remains as one of my all time favorite knitting projects. :)

knitgal 03-18-2008 11:11 AM

I really want that Great American Aran Afghan pattern. Is it available on Amazon???

Karina 03-18-2008 11:37 AM

Well I am looking at Amazon.co.uk and they have it.
Thanks Silver I might just buy a couple of them.

lattelovinm 04-01-2009 07:59 PM

The Great American.....Afghan

They're all different with different squares. I bought my book on stitchesmarket.com, i guess because it was less expensive than other sites - it's been a couple of months.

I'm on my second square of The Great American Afghan (the one that has dark greens, tans, browns, reds). The book is really nice and was well worth the $12.95. I happened to like the colors, so I went with this one, but in the book, it also offers other suggestions for color families you can use instead of what the original pattern calls for. I also really liked the squares of The Great American Aran Afghan, but I didn't want to do it all white; what i realized later was that I could still have done it, but used a different color for each square, but that would have taken too much thinking and obsessing on my part; the Great American... is probably better for me in that respect.

margz3 04-02-2009 10:18 AM

I got the Great American Aran Afghan book for Christmas (purchased at my LYS) I have yet to make a square, but hope to start on it soon (after I finish a couple of owed birthday gifts and hopefully my first pair of socks). I am thinking it will be a nice "summer" project to poke away at and hopefully have ready for the cool weather come fall. I do still need to decide on what yarn/color I want to make it....and buy all the yarn :zombie:

Koehnae 04-02-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by margz3 (Post 1219375)
I got the Great American Aran Afghan book for Christmas (purchased at my LYS) I have yet to make a square, but hope to start on it soon (after I finish a couple of owed birthday gifts and hopefully my first pair of socks). I am thinking it will be a nice "summer" project to poke away at and hopefully have ready for the cool weather come fall. I do still need to decide on what yarn/color I want to make it....and buy all the yarn :zombie:

This is me, too. I intended to start it this winter, but was too busy with Yule gifts. Now I'm too busy with gifts for my wedding party. I am glad my mom resisted the urge to buy me all the "Great American" patterns. I feel guilty enough it's taking me this long to find the time to pick a yarn and get started!