KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Sewing machine recommendations? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77603)

gatorjade 03-21-2008 05:24 PM

Sewing machine recommendations?

I've been on the hunt for a sewing machine for several months now, and I can't seem to find one that has consistently positive product reviews (unless I want to spend $500+!). I'm not looking for anything big or fancy ... it would mostly be used for finishing touches on my knitting projects. I also haven't used a sewing machine in a very long time and need to relearn, so I'm hoping to find a beginner-friendly machine. Does anyone here have a recommendation? Any input would be greatly appreciated! :hug:

vaknitter 03-21-2008 05:49 PM

I bought a Brother sewing machine at - dare I say it - Walmart about 10yrs ago and it is still going strong. I was doing little sewing projects here and there and was sick of using my neighbors as I always felt like I was in her way. I have never had any problems with it.
I have a Pfaff serger that I bought used and while they get great reviews, I find it to be a little tempermental. Sometimes less is more : )

fibrenut 03-21-2008 06:38 PM

I have a brother also. I love it. Haven't had any probs with it and I do sew a lot. (7 kids ya know and 4 of them girls). I would go with a brother. I really like the thread cassette idea. I find that helps a lot.:thumbsup: :woot:

mwhite 03-21-2008 06:45 PM

I've got a Brother, bought at Walmart over 8 years ago. Granted, I prefer industrial machines, this is a decent commercial machine and only paid about $95 for it. Keep in mind that there are thousands of men in this world who buy machines for their wives because A. They ask for them, hoping to learn or B. They want their wives to learn to save some money on clothing and/or alterations. My point is that these same women or men will sell a $500-$2000 machine in a yard sale for about $50-75.00 after it's sat in a closet or spare room for 5 years or more. THAT'S when you step in and "take" it off their hands and get it out of their "way". Ask around, read bulletin boards and newspaper ads and go to yardsales or jockeylots. The machines have their original booklets and accessories usually and you'll feel like you've conquered the world! HTH Mary

Jen17 03-21-2008 07:04 PM

Hi,
I 3 have a Brother, it is about 12 years old and works whenever I drag it out!
Listen to Mary about finding one at a yard sale, estate sale in the local paper or try Craigslist.com
I see them all the time at yard sales and you can get a new one or gently used one for a huge saving over buying a new one, especially if you are not sure how often you will be using it!

Good Luck!
Jen:knitting:

Mike 03-21-2008 10:34 PM

I agree with mwhite.

If all you want it for is simple things a used one would be great.
Seems most of the expensive new ones have their expense wrapped up in computerized picture embroidery.

I got my sister's hand-me-down Kenmore because none of her kids will repair anything much less make something. It's from the '70's and works fine. As often as I use it I bet it will last another 30 years.
Straight stitch, zig-zag, darning and surging is all I need to make canvas bags and do repairs. I have no need for the embroidery disks (neither did she and she makes cloths).
I definitely wouldn't need one with a keypad that will wear out long before 30 years so it can make pictures of Mickey Mouse that I'll never use.

Debkcs 03-22-2008 01:09 AM

A dear friend GAVE me her Baby Lock Intelli-stitch last year when she bought herself a Janome. What a great machine this is! I had a Pfaff 1222E for 29 years that finally died when my DH knocked it off onto a cement floor. This bent the casted metal interior, otherwise I'd still be using it.

I'm looking into what kind of serger to buy, as I'm very tall and like to make my own pants, etc.

Belphoebe 03-22-2008 01:40 AM

I've always been partial to Bernina. My mother has one and it spoiled me for anything else.

KnitClickChick 03-22-2008 06:29 AM

I really like my Huskystar. It's a pretty solid machine that should last a good long time.

KnittingNat 03-22-2008 07:25 AM

I have one of the simple Husqvarna machines for 6 years and i'm really happy with it. It's user friendly, not too sophisticated and it's definitely enough for the sewing i do. What bought me also is that it's made in Sweden and not China.